Is it bad juju to chuck up pin gauges?

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I will sometimes use my pin gauges to locate existing holes, in work, to zero out my mill DRO.

In other words, I will chuck up a pin gauge in my mill and move the table until the pin gauge will drop into the hole for a quick and dirty hole centering operation. It's just not always neccessary to sweep a hole for it's precise center.

Is this ill advised?

I will sometimes use my pin gauges to locate existing holes, in work, to zero out my mill DRO.

In other words, I will chuck up a pin gauge in my mill and move the table until the pin gauge will drop into the hole for a quick and dirty hole centering operation. It's just not always neccessary to sweep a hole for it's precise center.

Is this ill advised?
I do that same thing, and also use 60 degree points instead of pins to do the same thing.

IMO, It's not the best practice, but I would think that if you lightly chucked the pin and were careful not to jam the pin into the hole you are probing, it should be OK. The pins are hardened and it takes a bit of abuse to damage them, Shops that I have been in kept a working set for purposes like yours and a good set for precision measurement.

Been there done that. Mostly put them in a collet.

I've done it with a large brass "pin" for centering a rotab. Starrett wiggler or 827B point end for small holes.
All of these methods are close but not at all accurate.

tools are meant to be used so if you ruin one will you regret it? do you use them for measuring holes? not the best practice but if it works for you do it they are yours right? bill

Back