Is It Ok to Convert Wood Faceplate For Metal?

I won me a 1 X 8 tpi faceplate tonight. Woo Hoo! Hey, patience does pay off (plus, a fast swoop in with a last second high bid, lol)
Thanks everyone. I didn't need to butcher an innocent woodturning faceplate afterall!

Learn to relax when doing those "snipe" (last second) bids. If you lose an item, there usually will be another "bus" coming around in a few days or weeks. Atlas/Craftsman part availability is quite unpredictable. South Bend too.
Patience, Grasshopper. Good things come slowly sometimes.
Mark S.
I use "E Snipe" for all bidding on e bay and NEVER bid on an item in the "normal" way; I bid the maximum that I would be willing to pay for an item, although I sometimes update that maximum when the time is short, call it a reassessment of the item's value to me ---- I lose few bids.

In my opinion, an honest auction will let you bid any amount over the existing bid, but will only add the minimum incremental increase in the bid that changes the high bidder. In other words, if the current bid is $20, the minimum increment is $1, and you bid $30, then the auction should show you the new high bidder with a bid of $21, and then will increase the bid as necessary to outbid others until the bidding goes above $30, at which time you are done unless you place a new high bid. In that scenario, you can just put up the most you are willing to pay for it and forget about it, and be happy if you win and happy if you lose. You also get the merchandise for the minimum amount over whatever anyone else is willing to bid. That is the only type of auction I will bid on.
Why advertise to others that you are interested in the item and encourage them to raise their bid? This is why I use E Snipe.

I won me a 1 X 8 tpi faceplate tonight. Woo Hoo! Hey, patience does pay off (plus, a fast swoop in with a last second high bid, lol)
Thanks everyone. I didn't need to butcher an innocent woodturning faceplate afterall!
I love it. Way to go, Susan.

Esnipe. I have used it for years. The problem with bidding your maximum early is that people will just keep bidding you up. I even suspect that some unscrupulous sellers have schills bidding. So I either wait till the end of an auction if it is convenient or use esnipe.
Funny Ebay story. My aunt and uncle had a pottery factory in the 40's and 50's. I had a few pieces and would look for unusual pieces to add to my collection. I was frequently bidding against another person. It seemed like we were often the only people bidding for this pottery. That person contacted me and I learned that she was the granddaughter of my aunt and uncle. And we only lived a couple of blocks from each other. My kids didn't want my collection so I gave most of it to her. She was the person who first told me about esnipe.

Esnipe. I have used it for years. The problem with bidding your maximum early is that people will just keep bidding you up. I even suspect that some unscrupulous sellers have schills bidding. So I either wait till the end of an auction if it is convenient or use esnipe.
Funny Ebay story. My aunt and uncle had a pottery factory in the 40's and 50's. I had a few pieces and would look for unusual pieces to add to my collection. I was frequently bidding against another person. It seemed like we were often the only people bidding for this pottery. That person contacted me and I learned that she was the granddaughter of my aunt and uncle. And we only lived a couple of blocks from each other. My kids didn't want my collection so I gave most of it to her. She was the person who first told me about esnipe.

I am really confused here. How is this possible? If you bid your maximum are you not done bidding?

Sometimes, we are not really sure what our maximum is ------ it evolves with time, call it our NEW maximum!

First the goal when bidding on Ebay is to pay the lowest price. Not your maximum. Second, there are a lot of people on Ebay who only bid the minimum bid increment. Let's say an item's current bid is $10 and you are willing to pay $30. So you bid $30 but Ebay only bids the next increment over $10 for you. You are the current high bidder at $11. Another bidder comes along and bids $12. They are instantly out bid by you. Price now at $13. So they bid $14 and are again instantly out bid. And on and on it goes until you are bid up to your maximum or close to it.. If you hadn't bid your maximum early that person would have stopped at their first bid. And you could snipe bid at the end of the auction with your $30 maximum yet only paid $14 or $15 for the item. This is just one strategy for bidding on Ebay. There are others.

Back