Is it possible to buy a quality 8” bench grinder wheel?

Looks like it is a combination of fixes.
I think I'll make my own washers and look into the one way system.
It's a shame we have to go through all this.
Looks like AP De Sanno is no longer in business.
I may try a US company. United Abrasives has grinding wheels made in the good old US.

On that One-Way system, I assume the weight/balance hub stays on the wheel. It says you get 2 hubs with the kit.
Is this correct?
Any conflict mounting the wheel and hub on the motor shaft? Did you still need the washers or does the hub replace the washers?
I plan on making my own (washers) but if I don't need them....

Everything was included, arbors, washers and balancer. I did have to do some minor tweeks. For some reason one side arbor stuck out a little too much so just put it in the lathe and took to nose down maybe .030? Been a while. One of the wheels was so out of balance I had to add a washer to the balancing bolt and use a slightly longer bolt to compensate. I also soaked the bearings on the balancing fixture to remove the grease and make them roll super free. Best all in all its the best $80 I ever spent on that grinder.

Last edited:
I have the One-Way system for my 8" grinder and it works great, but I still had to dress the sides of the wheel to get rid of the lateral wobble. Until I did that, the vibration was bad even though the wheel was balanced.

I have the One-Way system for my 8" grinder and it works great, but I still had to dress the sides of the wheel to get rid of the lateral wobble. Until I did that, the vibration was bad even though the wheel was balanced.
I bet that makes a mess!
I'm thinking make an arbor to mount in the lathe to dress the side. Cover the ways, Place the diamond bit in the QCTP holder, do one side, flip it around and do the other.
I have two surface grinder wheels that have lateral run-out.
I can't seem to buy a quality wheel to save me self.

I used the little t-handled diamond dresser while it was on the grinder. Didn't take much, and no risk to the lathe. The grinding wheel was both out of balance and out of true. Pretty bad.

Back