Is It Possible To Put 9/16 Thread On A 5/8 Bolt?

gubni

Registered
Registered
I have some special wheel studs that are 5/18-18 thread. They do not make another stud that will work for my custom application, but the 5/8 thread is too big. I was wondering if it's possible to turn them down and put 9/16-18 thread on them? If so I have 32 that I need done. Below is the pic and I would need the threads to all the way to the splined part.

610-071.jpg

610-071.jpg

610-071.jpg

610-071.jpg

610-071.jpg

610-071.jpg

I don't see why not, as long as the studs are not hardened. Once they are turned down, the hardest part would be to get the thread cutting tool properly aligned with the existing threads. Once that is done, it would just be a matter of cutting the thread a little deeper as well as longer.

Personally, I think it would be much easier to modify the wheels a little bit to fit on the larger studs. Additionally, any studs that have to be replaced in the future would not need to be specially made for the application.

I thought 9/16"-18 studs were a standard size, but didn't remember for sure, and did not take the time to look it up. The only thing that might make a problem for the OP in that regard is that the knurled section might be smaller in diameter than the 5/8" studs.

Gubni, if you are trying to fit a set of wheels to a vehicle that they are not meant for, a set of adapter rings might be the better way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5/8” threads are probably rolled. And unless you can also roll the smaller threads that you what. You will not be able to duplicate the condition of the steel.

You have not told us very much about the application. Of course, the smaller stud is not going to be as strong, and you will lose the benefit of the rolled thread (assuming the existing ones are rolled). Of course, for enough money, you could get them rolled, or set up and roll them yourself (which would be quite an undertaking). Picking up an existing thread is not difficult. The stud material is likely harder (tougher) than something like 1018, but it won't be too hard to cut threads in. I have threaded induction hardened hydraulic shafting - it was hard on the tooling, but doable. I suggest you get the proper form threading tools, then the root radius will be correct - giving you the most strength possible (short of rolling ).

Thanks for the replies. The problem is I am using a special hub that needs a bigger knurl and this is the only dorman stud that will fit.

I have a hand tap and die set that includes 5/8. Is there a good way to take off the material other than a lathe?

Is there a good way to take off the material other than a lathe?

Grinder(surface) with a spin fixture. Whether using lathe or ginder, for that quantity it would be nice to have some kind of fixturing to make the job faster and repeatable.
Building the fixturing would take as long as the job probably.

An old guy used to tell me: "someone somewhere already makes what you need". Finding it is the hard part.

Back