Is it restorable?

I'd have to give it a shot if the ways aren't really worn. Plastic 55 gal drum for electrolysis, separate the motor and stand, and see what you get. Probably some minor pitting, but that wouldn't really affect accuracy much if the ways aren't already clapped out. Mike

Besides the rust, the ways look better then my SB16". You do not see the characteristic ridge that you see in a worn SB way. I bet the lead screw would even clean up better then what many of us have. After looking close at the pics, I know I would scarf it up if I had the chance.

I'm not calling it dead yet. I'm thinking it could be easily brought back to life, and likely better shape then my SB16".

Yes, the lathe looks ugly. However, I think that it can be restored. But it will take persistence and patience. There have been some antique cars that started out worst and end up being show pieces.

"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored". I think if it was me I couldn't walk away without putting at least a few hours time and effort into it

Just hit the ways with a wire wheel on an angle grinder.... You don't "need" to soak it in evaporust.... Basically anything you do will be an improvement at this point..... lol

if I had the space and it was going for free, I'd go for it. Probably take a year oof evenings, but if none of the gears are broken and the bed isn't worn you'll end up with a nice lathe for not much money.

As Cooter Brown said hit it with a wire brush and split it down. Worse have been made good. Depends what you want to do.
I'm a big fan of Molasses and water 1:40 mix and just leave stuff in it. Not fast but effective and very cheap. A wheelie bin can take a lot.
Abrasive blasting will clean things up too. Check locally for 'dustless' blasters.

That pantograph really needs a home.

Back