Is it restorable?

Looks too far gone, and it's an uncommon much older model which means any parts you might need will be tough- if not impossible- to obtain.
If you're really interested in the possibility, I'd first take a razor blade and carefully scrape the top of the most badly rusted areas. If it's gone beyond surface rust (and sure looks as though it has) and there's pitting it's a goner.

Clean up the valuable parts and sell 'em as mentioned above.

So I took off the tail stock and started to see what would free up etc. little evaporust for small stuff and hit the hand wheel with a wire wheel. I’ll keep ya posted.C300BD96-590E-4E4D-88F9-B2425C3F6BD1.jpeg613D5C0F-2709-40F4-945E-6B4EB4EF9938.jpegF738FAD1-F283-40C5-91B7-282FC5394994.jpeg38E5EA16-8D36-4DFE-8602-D0C9A7C95B44.jpeg21962B79-C325-4511-B68F-A3FC2692DBCF.jpeg

The short answer is "yes, it is restorable". All depends on how much time you have to put into it. There was a time when I would have tackled it, but I'm so piled up on projects now I'll have to wait till I'm retired to get them all worked out. The surface rust isn't that much of a problem, that will pretty much come off with some phosphoric acid (you can get it in gel forms for rust stripping, so it hangs onto the metal well). Pitting might be a problem under where the slides are together. Pre-existing mechanical issues might be more of a time sink or expense if it has any.

Yup I’m done! Tried taking out the spindle with a press and hammer not budging! I’d rather be making stuff than fixing stuff!

I think the only chance would be soaking for weeks in penetrant.

No shame in failing to clean that up.
At least you did try!

-brino

EDIT: one comment on that shallow tray for evaporust; if you have any part sticking out above the liquid surface, you will get a noticeable line. Even after re-soaking with the entire part submerged that line can remain. But it only really matters on non-painted, high-quality surfaces.

Yup I’m done! Tried taking out the spindle with a press and hammer not budging! I’d rather be making stuff than fixing stuff!

All is not lost, offer up the pieces and let others decide if they're suitable for whatever restoration projects they have. It can live on as replacement parts....

John

Back