Is my lathe scrap, Emco compact 8

Sorry for the delay in answering.
Im 90% sure its the bed, I tightened these,(red) it's a little better BUT now when the carriage / saddle is wound all the way up to the chuck it gets tight and the same when its would all the way down to the tail stock, so I think the bed has worn a little in the middle, the working aria, there's no play on the back runner its just the front, also if it tighten the carriage lock that improves it

tight_nd.PNG

Yup, sounds like the ways are worn. Easiest fix is to replace the bed. Not sure how often they turn up in your area but they come up on eBay in the US fairly often.

This could also be a problem, this is No9 in the drawing, as you can see its worn on the edge, I'll order another as see if it improves the problem

9.PNG
9_1.PNG

This could also be a problem, this is No9 in the drawing, as you can see its worn on the edge, I'll order another as see if it improves the problem

thats not a problem, thats just the saddle lock, the wear is caused by moving the saddle whilst its still locked.
Before replacing the bed run a mic along the section the clamp slides upon and the top of the ways.
It may not be worn ways but uneven thickness between the two. (which worn ways would also produce) and may be possible to scrape the underneath back to an even thickness.
This was a problem on the back way on my machine, only a couple of thou but enough to measure and remove.

Even a Southbend doesn't require the caps to hold down the saddle.
Or to make it accurate.......‍

Back