Is PM-932 PF45 clone?

umnik

Registered
Registered
I am researching which milling machine to buy. Currently I am focusing on PM-932M/PDF.
Recently I was watching Stefan Gotteswinter reviews on his Optimum MB4 milling machine which is one of RF45 clones. I liked that it can take pretty heavy cuts. Is PM-932 similar?

Yes the PM932 & it's predecessor the PM45 are based on RF45s. Not sure what your definition of heavy cuts are but keep in mind that Stefan mainly uses 6mm & 8mm endmills. He doesn't use endmills larger than 10mm. 10mm is slightly larger than 3/8". With 1/2" endmills don't expect to take heavy cuts in steel. 1/2" roughing endmills will do ok but nothing like a full size knee mill can do.

darkzero, thanks for you input. What Stefan shown, looks heavy cuts to me for this kind of machine. Though, I've never owned or worked on milling machine and can not judge from real experience, just from researching on web. I understand that pm932 is not industrial machine like Bridgeports and clones. May be I would like to get bigger machine, but new is out of my price range, and used Bridgeport likely is not good one to start with, besides the size intimidates me.

I have the 932. Pretty good machine for what it is. Working as a professional machinist, I used Lagun, 10x54 and larger. At home, I could not justify a Knee Mill. For either size or cost.
It does have a drawback of the quill backlash in the wrong direction and gravity working against you. Unlock the quill and it drops into your work. I modified mine with a traction spring with about 30 lbs of pull to keep the backlash pushed against the down feed rack and pinion.

D

darkzero, thanks for you input. What Stefan shown, looks heavy cuts to me for this kind of machine. Though, I've never owned or worked on milling machine and can not judge from real experience, just from researching on web. I understand that pm932 is not industrial machine like Bridgeports and clones. May be I would like to get bigger machine, but new is out of my price range, and used Bridgeport likely is not good one to start with, besides the size intimidates me.

I've had my PM45M-PDF for 7 yrs now, it has done everything I've needed in my home shop. I'd love to have a knee mill someday but I haven't had the thought of getting rid of my mill yet & I don't have the room.

Back