Is Starrett 18C the only reliable auto prick punch?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I sometimes work with metal and copper sheets both thick 16Ga / thinner like 24Ga. there has been many occasions when I only have one hand free and need to mark the sheet and that's when my cheap General center punch decides to fail! .need something better , more consistent.
I think the only brand left that can still punch soft metal or stainless steel , is Starrett (18C), was wondering if any one has seen good performance from any other manufacturers ? how about Lisle30280 prick punch? I know there are thousands of different brands but they all seem to be for woodworking .

Check out the brown & sharpe 771. Good quality.

There was also a variation, the 771-2 that had a rounded ball end that I'd like to try. Seems like all the 771-2's I've seen were made in England, so probably pretty old.

If you don't need an automatic, check out PB Swiss tools. They make some nice punches, including center punches with carbide tips.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I suppose some are hit & miss. I've had an alumnium body 20 yr old HF one that I used daily when I was a mechanic & it surprisngly never failed on me consider how much that thing got used & thrown around. Ended up leaving it at the shop when I left. I've had a General that was decent & another now that is junk.

My Starrett 18A is pretty nice & has never failed me. It's the newer model without replaceable tip.

I've heard the Rennsteig ones are pretty nice but I've never used one personally. They're kind of bulky though cause they're not shaped like most automatic center punches & kind of pricey.

These days I don't use an automatic center punch much anymore. I prefer to just use a good ol fashion punch & hammer. One strike & I'm done. With automatic ones I find myself punching multiple times to get a nice punch mark.

I just googled Rennsteig center punches , they seem a bit bulky but maybe that could be an advantage when using with one hand. the Starrett 18C that I could get from Amazon may not be made in USA but if I find a used one or NOS locally, I'll not hesitate. the used ones on eBay get to be too expensive .

Steve, I checked out the B&S &&! on eBay, they look very much like the General I have , I'll see if I could find them on the used market here, thanks .

I have a Starrett which is so old its stamped "LS Starrett pat. apld for" but no model number.
It still works fine despite the tip end being slightly bulged from many thousands of strikes.

Found this discussion on the subject, the majority seem to like Starrett, but General and old Craftsman get a few praises. all the old ones seem to work better , the design is not changed but the quality of springs as well as the workmanship is what sets the newer ones apart from the old.

My Starrett 18A is pretty nice & has never failed me. It's the newer model without replaceable tip.

I've heard the Rennsteig ones are pretty nice but I've never used one personally. They're kind of bulky though cause they're not shaped like most automatic center punches & kind of pricey.
I just ordered the German made punch you mentioned (Rennsteig), it claims to have the highest striking force of 180-250 N.(184 ft-lb) I'll find out how well it performs in real life, thanks Will.

Last edited:
I have used Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, and General. All worked reliably. My complaint about all is they are furnished with center punch points (90* angle). P would much prefer prick punch points (60* angle).

I just ordered the German made punch you mentioned (Rennsteig), it claims to have the highest striking force of 180-250 N.(184 ft-lb) I'll find out how well it performs in real life, thanks Will.

Nice! I didn't know that. They look bulky but because of the handle design I hear they are comfortable to use.

Please let us know how you like it, I may have to get one too. :big grin:

Edit: Just looked up the prices, not too expensive, I thought I remembered them costing much more.

Back