Is Starrett 18C the only reliable auto prick punch?

Could you just grind the tip to whatever profile you want? I ground my General years ago (still don't use it though).

-f
I try to avoid doing that to my new punches but if the grinding is done correctly, it will do the trick.

My dad still uses the auto punch he made in high school shop class. I have a 20-year old HF brass punch that works reliably despite the punch tip being softer than it should. I never got around to making one myself, but now the gears are turning.

Here's a tip for buying Rennsteig tools- go to a Euro dealer and buy from them if they'll ship. Germans don't like shipping export, so try Poland or Czech eBay sites. I've bought a number of things this way after establishing my eBay account during the last decade when I lived overseas. The latest was a Rennsteig scraper that cost me 1/3 of the asking price in the US delivered to my door. High end (metric) measuring tools are another category that this approach pays. Something to consider.

So far mine has struck evertime I tried. It's not a replace all IMO, it requires considerable force to strike. Not that it's hard, the fat handle knob makes it easy to use since it fits the palm with more surface area. I remember my hand getting sore when I needed to use an auto center punch so much in a short period of time. The knob is fixed with the rest of the handle, the entire handle turns when adjusting. For more delicate work/thinner materials I'd use a smaller one.

Here's the auto center punches I have in the garage. Left is a cheapie from Enco (not sure why I still have it), Starrett 18A & 2 Generals.
View attachment 305827

Same order, max tension on all, 16ga square tubing. The arrow is pointing to the Enco in case you can't see it. Not sure why I haven't tossed that thing out already. It's worthless, barely leaves a mark on steel maxed out & doesn't strike half the time. The Rennsteig is just slightly stronger than the larger General I have but it's a lot more comfortable to use
View attachment 305828

The adjustment for force doesn't seem to be a great range of change. Again on thinner materials I'd prefer to use something smaller. This is aluminum just under 60 thou thick. Top set of punches is the Rennsteig, set from low to high, no particular order. Bottom 3 is the Starrett 18A, set mediumish
View attachment 305830

Backside
View attachment 305831

I like it & I hope to use it more often than my I did with my others but still I prefer a punch & a hammer at home. Unfortuantely the thing is too fat to fit in the drawer that I keep my auto center punches in. Need to find a place for it where I don't forget & easily accessible otherwise It may never get used.
I just received mine and I really like it, you were right on with your review on every point and there really isn't much more I could add, this thing packs quite a punch so the medium size which is slightly less powerful than this model, would have also been fine for my use but so far I have no regrets.

Could you just grind the tip to whatever profile you want? I ground my General years ago (still don't use it though).

-f

all of my auto punch points have been ground at one time or another, to differing angles :grin:

i prefer 60°, but just about any angle can stop a bit from skidding

So , has anyone tested any of these punches on their windshield ? I hear that if you happen to swimming underwater in your vehicle that these punches could save your life . Please post results ! :grin:

So , has anyone tested any of these punches on their windshield ? I hear that if you happen to swimming underwater in your vehicle that these punches could save your life . Please post results ! :grin:
Windshields are made of laminated glass with a plastic layer in between to keep the shards from the glass from injuring the occupants. You will not get an easy exit by breaking it. Side and rear windows are made of tempered glass, that shatter into little pieces with relatively dull edges when they break. Use your center punch (or whatever else) on anything but the windshield.

i have not tested on a windshield, but door glass instantly shatters into small pieces when an auto punch is applied

Back