Is Starrett 18C the only reliable auto prick punch?

I have used Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, and General. All worked reliably. My complaint about all is they are furnished with center punch points (90* angle). P would much prefer prick punch points (60* angle).
I see your point, this new one I just got probably has a 90° tip also ,I do agree the regular prick punches I use the most are the ones with sharper points.

Nice! I didn't know that. They look bulky but because of the handle design I hear they are comfortable to use.

Please let us know how you like it, I may have to get one too.
I'll most definitely do that, if it is as good as they say it is, then I'm sure there are a few of us here who are always on the look out for decent lay out tools.
Edit: Just looked up the prices, not too expensive, I thought I remembered them costing much more.
Yeah, the price was not too bad even in Canadian $ :grin:, it was under $55. a bit cheaper than the Starrett, although that was not the reason for buying it, I am not sure the Starrett tools Amazon sell are actually made in USA, I could be wrong though.

I prefer a 120 degree punch point for starting 118 degree drills. Anything less than the drill point angle and your drill is trying to walk, which causes inaccuracy.

Yeah, the price was not too bad even in Canadian $ :grin:, it was under $55. a bit cheaper than the Starrett, although that was not the reason for buying it, I am not sure the Starrett tools Amazon sell are actually made in USA, I could be wrong though.

Well I just ordered the 250N one also. I guess I was remembering correctly of them being $50-$60. It's just that Amazon's price is really good. $32 USD, not sure what that is in CAD but I'm assuming the price you mentioned. Had my eye on one a while back but forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder Ken!

Well I just ordered the 250N one also. I guess I was remembering correctly of them being $50-$60. It's just that Amazon's price is really good. $32 USD, not sure what that is in CAD but I'm assuming the price you mentioned. Had my eye on one a while back but forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder Ken!
I did enjoy spending you money Will, probably just as much as you did mine:), $32 USD sounds about right, I paid $39.53 Canadian but I also had to pay ~ $15 for shipping. I agree ,the price in either currency is quite reasonable . for all we know, Amazon could jack up the price just before Christmas.

I prefer a 120 degree punch point for starting 118 degree drills. Anything less than the drill point angle and your drill is trying to walk, which causes inaccuracy.
Do you find 120 degree punches easy to use Bob? I would imagine it would be harder to see exactly where to make the indentation.

I have 2 from way back when I was a manufacturing optician made by vigor in Sweden. Looks like the don't make them any more either.

View attachment 305638
Looks like they don't make them like the used to any more, the only Vigor I could find is a cheap imitation under the name Vigor V1783, very much the same story of the old General and the new General center punches, only the older ones are worth keeping.

Back