Is the Drill Doctor worth it or not?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys!

I have been looking around on the internet for opinions on the Drill Doctor.
Some people say it is great, others say it makes a good doorstop and they can sharpen drills faster and better by hand.

What do YOU think!

Many thanks!

Nelson

I wish I could afford a high quality sharpener, but have only been using the drill doctor. I would say it is adequate. The collet chuck that holds the bits are plastic, and there are lobes or cams that change the angle of the bit while rotating the chuck in the sharpening nest. The plastic wears quickly rendering the chuck useless. You can buy a new chuck, but they are almost as expensive as the whole system. Maybe someday I'll get a good sharpener.

I think the drill dr. workes pretty good, model 750X ,I use mine for small bits 3/8 or less, pretty good grind.I also have a Lisle 91000 that is good for the larger bits,pro grind, up to 1-1/4 they don't make the Lisle anymore but from time to time the come up on ebay that is where I got mine.
Regards
Bob

I have had a Drill Doctor for about 6 years now. I have not worn it out yet and I wouldn't be without one the way my eyes are getting. I used to sharpen them with the drill sharpening gauge I built for a high school shop project in the late '60's. It has served me well, until the tri-focals came home with me.

We had a Black and Decker Commercial drill sharpener at work and it was great. Wish i could afford one now. From what I understand, there are two types of drill doctors. The one that has an actual hard stone and one that uses paper type rolls for the abrasive. From what I heard from a buddy who had the paper roll type, forget that one.

I have the DD 750X and it works for me. Yes it is not a $4000 machine but for home use it is perfect.

Yes I know that some of you can do it on the grinder by hand in 10 sec or less but you are not here when I need you. :D ;D

I have tried to do it by hand but by the time I had a good sharp bit it was about as long a stubby pencil. Part of my problem is a piece of ... of a bench grinder with wrong kind of wheels. At work the tool room guys take care of the bits for me.

I have had one for several years, and i use it all the time. You just have to remember that it is not a professional unit, and it does have some limitations, but over all, I have been very satisfied

IIRC, there is 2 models - a 500 & 750 - (whatta ya bet they are for up to 1/2 and 3/4"?)

While I dont have a Drill Doctor, I sure have read a lot of really flaming reports on them - and, even reading thru these replies, I dont see any really glowing reports.

But what I wanted to point out is another Darex product, discontinued some time ago, but can still be found on fleabay occasionally at fairly reasonable costs. This was their "M" series of drill sharpeners. (M-2, M-3, M-4, & M-5) with the M-5 having a split point set-up. These things really work nicely.

This is an M-5 I put together from components off ebay, with the point splitter, and a chuck capable of doing up to a 3/4" bit, mounted on a conventional bench grinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new here, but I have some experince with the 750 model.
We used one in a production shop I was involved in.
When its set up right it's virtually fool proof.

Mueller link=topic=1804.msg11828#msg11828 date=1303677580 said:
I'm new here, but I have some experince with the 750 model.
We used one in a production shop I was involved in.
When its set up right it's virtually fool proof.

Never say that. They can always come up with a better fool! ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back