Is the Vice Mounted Correctly?

Oskar, us guys in Oregon can have the same problem as you guys in Canada. I was in the military visiting New York city and a guy asked me where I was from. I said at the time my home town was Portland. He said: Oh Portland, Maine. Oops my bad, no Portland, Oregon. Then he asked, Isn't that some place in northern California? Shrugged my shoulders and said close enough. Hey, you could had been from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Sorry guys I'm off the main subject on this thread, but I could not resist.

I had almost the same conversation once, except the woman I was talking with thought Oregon was in the Midwest.
She was from just outside New York City, so maybe it's just New Yorkers. :)

I had almost the same conversation once, except the woman I was talking with thought Oregon was in the Midwest.
She was from just outside New York City, so maybe it's just New Yorkers. :)
I am from New Jersey, many people here consider anything beyond the Boston to DC corridor "the places that the airplane flies over on the way to LA".

US Citizens are not the only nationality with a poor grasp of geography.

Now that this thread has been completely hijacked, I will chip in- I am born and raised in Arizona. Northern Arizona, that is. 7000 ft elevation, surrounded by the largest Ponderosa Pine forest on the planet. Average 100 inches of snow per year. Not one single Saguaro cactus within 100 miles. There are the occasional rattlesnakes, but I have seen only 5 around here in 50 years of stomping these woods. I pass thru 5 distinct climate zones to go from my house to the Phoenix metro area. (And generally waste no time getting OUT of the Phoenix metro area:faint:)
Sorry, Oskar. I think your vise setup will be just fine, btw. I try to keep first in mind which direction the cutter is trying to push the piece any time I am setting something up.

Now that this thread has been completely hijacked, I will chip in- I am born and raised in Arizona. Northern Arizona, that is. 7000 ft elevation, surrounded by the largest Ponderosa Pine forest on the planet. Average 100 inches of snow per year. Not one single Saguaro cactus within 100 miles. There are the occasional rattlesnakes, but I have seen only 5 around here in 50 years of stomping these woods. I pass thru 5 distinct climate zones to go from my house to the Phoenix metro area. (And generally waste no time getting OUT of the Phoenix metro area:faint:)
Sorry, Oskar. I think your vise setup will be just fine, btw. I try to keep first in mind which direction the cutter is trying to push the piece any time I am setting something up.

No problem this thread is hijacked, we all have fun but the last paragraph on the above brings up an important subject. Is there any rule(s) to difine the tool or stock feed direction?

No problem this thread is hijacked, we all have fun but the last paragraph on the above brings up an important subject. Is there any rule(s) to difine the tool or stock feed direction?

Yes there is. :) Climb or conventional cutting. And in general you want the cutting forces to ''push'' against the most solid part of the setup (normally the fixed jaw of the vice) where possible. In general try not to cut in a direction that tries to pull the part out of the setup. Either that or have the part anchored so well that under no condition could the machine exert enough force to move the part.

Climb cutting is normally not done, except for very light cuts, on manual machines because the cutter is trying to pull the work into the cutter so you lose control of the feed. Tends to cause all kinds of problems like the table jumping around and broken cutters. Climb cutting requires a tight machine with near zero backlash and preferably a lot of mass. Normally used for CNC operations.

Conventional cutting pushes the work against the rotation of the cutter and thus puts a constant load on the feed.

38772d1317680462-climb-milling-conventional-when-using-carbide-climb_conv1.jpg

Looks good Jim, I will try to understand it with some practice

Conventional cutting pushes the work against the rotation of the cutter and thus puts a constant load on the feed.

Thanks, Jim. That was a great explanation. I was in the construction world for many years, in my youth. When you run a hand held wood router, you get the lesson about climb vs. conventional directions delivered to you in a very visceral way. I have known and appreciated the difference for my whole adult life, but could not have explained it better than you did, if you gave me a week. Seriously, pictures tell it all. And as I say- if anyone here still has some question about how this applies, find yourself a wood router, a cutter or bit of really ANY kind, a piece of scrap wood clamped SECURELY, and all the proper personal protection. Then, run the router in a counterclockwise direction relative to the edges of the part. After you feel comfortable with that, try clockwise:eek 2:. It will become quite clear the difference. There are times where climb cutting applies in this application too, but they are not the usual.

Back