Is there a consensus of opinion re: Bison lathe chucks?

Those are small! I feel like .227" (collet size) is too small to be used as an arbor. It would flex too much, so scrap that idea. Your arbors appear very well made. What do you think the cause of the error is?
I agree with you re: the 0.227" collet size being to small to support a chuck.
The friend who made those adapters was a talented machinist. He made a few special creations for me, and all were exceptional.
Honestly, I don't know what the cause of error really is. All I know is that with an empty lathe spindle, there is ZERO lateral or axial runout. But when I insert my 3-jaw with any of my adapters, I get lateral runout. The only change in the equation is the presence or absence of the adapter/chuck combo. If I was a real machinist I'd probably have more insight. I'm open to any suggestions! Most of my problems turn out to be my own fault!

Take the arbor off the chuck and check the runout of just the arbor. Then replace the arbor and recheck. It could be that the chuck is not registering correctly on the threads for some reason.
Hey, why is your 4 jaw attached with 4 screws? Mine has the same 3/4-16 thread and no holes in the back.

Last edited:
Take the arbor off the chuck and check the runout of just the arbor. Then replace the arbor and recheck. It could be that the chuck is not registering correctly on the threads for some reason.
Hey, why is your 4 jaw attached with 4 screws? Mine has the same 3/4-16 thread and no holes in the back.
I never thought of checking the arbor without the chuck. I'll investigate that.
As to the 4-jaw arbor being attached with 4 screws... when my machinist friend in Oregon made the arbors for me, I lived in Arizona. He asked me to ship my Sherline 4-jaw chuck to him and he took care of the rest. When he shipped the chuck back to me, he had attached the arbor to the back of the chuck as shown in my pictures. So - he drilled & tapped for those 4 screws. I've never removed or even disturbed that arbor since I got it in the mail from him.

I never thought of checking the arbor without the chuck. I'll investigate that.
As to the 4-jaw arbor being attached with 4 screws... when my machinist friend in Oregon made the arbors for me, I lived in Arizona. He asked me to ship my Sherline 4-jaw chuck to him and he took care of the rest. When he shipped the chuck back to me, he had attached the arbor to the back of the chuck as shown in my pictures. So - he drilled & tapped for those 4 screws. I've never removed or even disturbed that arbor since I got it in the mail from him.

I wonder if rotating the chuck with respect to the arbor could help. You would need to mark it and then measure run-out in the four different positions. If there's a difference, use the one with the lowest run-out.

Brian

I wonder if rotating the chuck with respect to the arbor could help. You would need to mark it and then measure run-out in the four different positions. If there's a difference, use the one with the lowest run-out.

Brian
That's an interesting idea, Brian. Since the chuck has to physically screw down onto the arbor's 3/4-16 threads, I'm guessing I'd need circular shims to fit between arbor & the chuck. Otherwise the chuck would just keep on screwing down until it stops rotating - maybe make three separate circular shims of different thicknesses so I could position it at 3 or 4 different positions.

Anyway, yesterday I took three of my Rivett-to-Sherline arbors and started measuring whatever runout I find, and began writing them down. I used my little Noga magnetic holder (man, I sure like that thing) and a fairly nice Mitutoyo DTI that measures tenths of a thou. It didn't take me long to realize that my arbors only have one area that is relevant to holding the chuck - that would be the flat spot that contacts the "register ring" (is that what they call it?) of my chuck.
Here's the flat spot I measured with my dial test indicator on all three of my arbors:
IMG_8151_edited.JPG

After some careful positioning my setup looked like this:
IMG_8164.JPGIMG_8165.JPG

Anyway, my three arbors checked out like this:
#1 - zero runout
#2 - .0002" runout
#3 - .0005" runout

So I guess between the three arbors, #1 is the clear winner. After I had measured all three, I re-checked all of them a second time just in case I screwed up somehow. Turned out my first measurements must have been right, because all the second readings were the same as the first readings.

I kind of like the idea of seeing what would happen if I rotated the chuck at 90 degrees, 180 degrees and 270 degrees. I have a feeling nothing would change, but who knows. I'd have to use circular shims between the arbor & the chuck to do it, though, right? Or am I missing something?
Doug

I kind of like the idea of seeing what would happen if I rotated the chuck at 90 degrees, 180 degrees and 270 degrees. I have a feeling nothing would change, but who knows. I'd have to use circular shims between the arbor & the chuck to do it, though, right? Or am I missing something?
Doug

Ahh sorry...
It wasn't clear to me that that chuck used both attachment methods; it screws onto the arbor _and_ is bolted thru.
I was thinking of it more like bolting a chuck to a faceplate.

It is an interesting thought experiment, but I believe trying to produce the proper thickness shims would be very difficult; they would need to be the perfect thickness to align the next bolt hole as well as contacting both the arbor face and the chuck back face.

Brian

EDIT: by the way your measurement results look very good, and the fact they were repeatable makes me believe them too!

one more thought.......

Could the four bolts be pulling it off centre?
Can you measure run-out on a precision pin in the chuck with and without those four bolts?
Since the chuck is threaded onto the arbor that should be safe right?

Brian

You also need to measure the radial runout. You could use the indicator on the perimeter side of the arbor and ignore the flat spots. If the 4 jaw threads onto the arbor, what is the point of having the 4 screws at all?

Back