Is There A Definitive Article On Collets

My ER-32's are of the first type. Here's a couple shots of a 3/4" collet on a bar; that's the max size that will fit thru my lathe spindle.
-brino
Hey brino, Where did you get the ER32 adapter? Thanks.

Bob

Machinist handbook

You are right--- machinery handbook covers the older collets and which machines they are used on---they have all the dimentions--if you have the older lathes and mills it is a handy information chart---but the 14th edition is the last edition to cover collets---I don't understand why because collets are still used in most machines----and machinists need this information--I probably have at least twenty different types and styles of collets and holders--some I don't use but someone with an older machine with special collets might-------Dave

Where did you get the ER32 adapter? Thanks. Bob

Hi Bob,

That lathe spindle nose mount for ER-32 collets came from Beall:
http://www.bealltool.com/
They are made in the USA!

Specifically, the ER-32 collet chuck for various lathe spindles are here:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php
I originally had their 1"-8tpi 5-collet kit for my old Barnes Lathe, then when I got the Southbend lathe I bought just the 1-1/2"x8tpi collet chuck and wrenches.
I have collected more ER-32 collets from local places and ebay, both metric and imperial.

...and hey their "Big Chuck" ER-50 version is back:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/bigchuck.php
(the big one was gone last time I looked, now that it's back I may need to order one.....hmmm.......)

-brino

I'm glad this question was asked. I spent a lot of time looking for this info.
I was looking for a 2MT to R8 adapter, so i could use the more standard R8 collets in my 2MT mill.

Savarin, it is not obvious that making your own adapter would be more precise than a purchased one. No insult, its just because the whole idea of collets is to have a more concentric hold on the work than a scroll chuck. So they are precision made and that's why they can get expensive. However, I am sure that you can do just as well making your own adapter if you are so inclined.
ER collets are the most versatile for general use in a hobby workshop. So unless you have a specific job that has special requirements I would go with the ER type for workholding in a lathe.

Last edited:
GK1918,
Sorry that's all I got. You might check the Machinerys Handbook.
Additionally, I found this in my files. Not sure if it will help. Wish I knew which website I got it from...

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• Collets Measurements.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 92
Well I took the plunge and bought a set of metric ER25's
but I've no idea when I will be able to start on the spindle nose chuck.
Too much going on at present.

I'm glad this question was asked. I spent a lot of time looking for this info.
I was looking for a 2MT to R8 adapter, so i could use the more standard R8 collets in my 2MT mill.

Walter, I looked for an MT3 to R8 adapter with no luck. The R8 taper seems too big to fit inside an MT3 and an MT2 is even smaller.
Do you have a plan B?

Back