Is there such a thing as an R8 collet block?

I have a 5C collet block which comes in handy sometimes, but I only have a couple collets.

I have a boatload of R8 collets.

An R8 collet block would be more practical for me, but I have not seen them.
IMHO I would instead get a boat load of 5C collets. More choices in size and a through hole.

More handy and effective is a QCTP holder that is either made with a morse taper socket or one that mounts a drill chuck, which is better in some ways, since the overall length is shorter than the MT block when using a drill chuck in it.
Well I learned something, probably again. I didn't know or remember that there is a #2 MT tool holder for my AXA QCTP. That certainly would be quicker and easier than the project blinders I had on. I find myself periodically going off in the weeds chasing a solution because I wasn't aware there already was one.

Another factor is we all have different work we're doing and I try to work within my envelope only being a hobbyist. I went all in on R8 because my mill and my tool grinder both use it. It bugs me to have to buy another complete set like 5c when depth/pass through has not been an issue or size bigger than what R8 does for the projects I do. If I'd had something else that took 5c it would not be an issue. Because my lathe head is only #3 MT my "other" collets are ER32 which one day I hope to have a chuck for and they make collet blocks for now along with a adapter for the spindex. Probably silly, but it made sense at the time.

I've been thinking of making an R8 collet block for the same reason the Op said, in addition I think it would just be fun to do. i am not concerned with the passthrough as I would mostly use if for smaller material.

Can someone answer this, I don’t know for sure?

What about 3D printing the block? I have seen some very dense and sturdy parts made and high precision.

Just contact someone with a 3D printer and give them the specs?

Look at this idea for indexing from that thread! No need to shape the whole thing and same one could be square, hex, octagon, triple side, etc..

1572229430894.jpeg

Can someone answer this, I don’t know for sure?

What about 3D printing the block? I have seen some very dense and sturdy parts made and high precision.

Just contact someone with a 3D printer and give them the specs?

I can't imagine the plastic wouldn't snap when tightening the collet. When you tighten the bolt to compress the collet it puts pretty high forces outward, which I would expect to just crack the plastic in a few cycles.

Back