Is this a de-magnetizer? (what might this be?)

Forgot to mention is that mine is in a black plastic case. So one can just lay and roll the object directly on the surface and then pull away. I always assumed that plastic was to keep from scratching the metal or whatever.

I have a nice old L-W Chuck demagnetizer that I bought from benmychree. It works great and handles large parts off the surface grinder. Just move the part around in the field, then pull it straight away slowly. Before I had it I used my Weller soldering gun for demagnetizing small screwdrivers and such by pushing them in and out between the activated loop of the circuit going to the tip. It worked, and still does...

Thank Gang. Going to go round up my 'attractive' tools and have a marathon 'de-mag' session.

Thought it might be after seeing the one thread. See my last line in my 1st post, I was trying to make a joke about it sitting on my Computer file server... :grin:

I was over at a friend's place the other day and he had a couple of stacks of 3/4" neodymium magnets sitting next to his tower on his desk.
He was having odd computer problems and couldn't figure out why...

Alrighty-o, if I'd made a video y'all would have had a good laugh.
I have some 1-2-3 blocks & a bunch of other stuff thats slightly magnetized.
I set up the device, plugged it in, flipped (rocked) the switch and first checked for shorts... all good. Heck of a humming sound coming from it.
With a block in hand I figured to follow the above directions and pass it over the platen at an elevation of ~1"
Note to self: Start off with something much smaller next time... AND stand back and think-about-it for a minute or two before beginning.
Grabbed it out of my hand and *BAM* down to the platen.
Off to the wood pile, grabbed a 1" thick piece and went at it again. Much better results.
Dragged the pieces across the wood and then lifted them up & away.

Be glad your fingers got out of the way, That would hurt. you can watch a small drill bit bend, never did drill right after that.

Back