Is this a dumb idea

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My 12x36 lathe sits in front of a window in my garage. The only place where I could put it. I thought that this would be good lighting. It turns out that the light from the window is always too bright and the front side of the lathe is always dark. Hard to read the dials I have very high ceilings in my garage so hanging a light from the ceiling doesn't work. The original owner had mounted a light with a long flexible neck on the table that the lathe sits on. This light always seemed to be in the way for me and I have removed it. Lately I have been sitting a small reading lamp on the cover over the drive belts. This seems to work fairly well but you have to hang on to it at times.
Over the weekend I picked up a reading light that I could easily permanently mount on this cover by drilling 3 holes in the cover. It has a very small base.

IMG_3548.JPG
This is the lamp.

IMG_3550.JPG
Here it is with the base removed.

IMG_3551.JPG
This is where I am thinking about mount the light.

I have not seen this before and am wondering if this is a dumb idea that I will later regret.

IMG_3548.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

One downside to that is its inability to shine down in a bore. Many lights are mounted on the carriage so they travel with the tool, more or less. But if it's the dials you are concerned about that should help.

Have you considered installing a horizontal blind so that you can modulate the light coming through the window?
Natural light is the best of all but you have to regulate the intensity. Without it you will need very powerful lights to illuminate the dark side of your lathe when the sun is shining in! Your eyes will water!
Is it possible to add reflective surfaces over, behind or beside the lathe so that the natural light is diffused to surround the lathe a bit better? I use bubble insulation with foil on one side to brighten some dark spots around my lathe.
Or can you turn the lathe sideways or 180 deg. so the window is illuminating the front of the lathe?
All this to say that fixing lights to my lathe might not be the way I would go in your situation. It would be a last resort.

If you must attach a lamp use magnets as mentioned above at least until you are sure of the location(s) before drilling and tapping the lathe. Be prepared to see the magnets accumulate chips and swarf forever after.

Last edited:
Hang a 4ft LED shop light from chains over your lathe at the height and location that works best for you.
I would consider that desk lamp to be in the way and insecure. YMMV.

Last edited:
Maybe a light on a floor stand that can be moved around easily like photographers use?

Last edited:
I’ed go with blinds on the window maybe vertical so the oil stripe is easy to clean .
The cover is probably cast aluminum so magnet won’t work there but I wouldn’t drill holes in it.
I think i’ed hang a led shop light with chains or cable above you , it would be out of your way .

Last edited:
In addition to whatever you decide to do for shop lighting, a small LED flashlight is really handy for those dark nooks
and crannies. I have several in the shop and keep a small one in my pocket most of the time. A small mirror along
with an LED flashlight allow one to see places otherwise impossible to see (like looking behind your lathe carriage for example).

Back