VN Is this a good fit for my first mill?

John TV

Registered
Registered
So very new to this hobby and do not yet own a mill. I was thinking of a PM30 but then this interesting opportunity came up. A family friend has a brother with a VN 12 in good shape for sale. It has the support arm and a few collets. I have not yet seen the machine. Before I get too interested in this can you help me with a little advice on the following questions. 1. Is this a good candidate for a first mill? I read somewhere that a Bridgeport quill could be added for drilling,how would that work? General thoughts on Van Norman 12 mills. If I have missed a previous post I apologize, I tried to search for this info first. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horizontal mills are often not subject to the 'chatter' of verticals, they are considerably more rigid/solid. Both horizontal and vertical mills are limited in that they often can't perform the work done on the other. A vertical head mounted on the horizontal mill will somewhat overcome this limitation, so yes, a Bridgeport type head can be added.

It's hard to adapt a vertical mill to do horizontal work. I would like to have a horizontal to use, but no place to put it.

For a first mill, you could easily pick up a used Grizzly knee mill for $800 or $1000 and do just fine.

The VN 12 is a classic workhorse. I have one that I am restoring to service, and can’t wait to be able to use it. however, as a hobbyist, the VN is way over capacity for anything I will likely ever do. But, it is exciting to have.

Probably the one you will be looking at already has a vertical milling head attached. Typically the head rotates to give the mill horizontal capacity. If so, ask about collets. VN collets are hard to find, and very expensive when they do turn up. hardinage 5V collets once in awhile show up also, again usually very expensive, as they are identical to the VN 5V collet. One restriction with VN mills, for all their rigidity and power, they only accept up to 1/2” diameter end mills - so fairly restricted in vertical milling capacity. Don’t know why they built them this way, but they did.

VN 12’s were primarily universal mills. Meaning they were both vertical and horizontal capacity. The biggest deal, is if it does indeed have the overarm support to enable horizontal milling. You need the overarm support to support the outboard end of the ram. Many VN 12s no longer have these overarm supports. And they are virtually unobtainium.

Post some photos if you can. Photos will go a long way towards verifying capability of the mill you are interested in.

Be interesting to see particularies on this machine.

Glenn

Last edited:
I only have these two pictures, have not seen mill yet. Thanks for your advice.

e6f5bf8028297df88d6bc84f2a033714.jpg
8127227cd22314b7d76f7cbe6de30ff6.jpg

That appears to have a vertical head (probably without a quill downfeed) so a good choice - my Test 2U doesn't have a quill either, so drilling/boring with the vertical head means using the knee feed, luckily it's power fed...

Dave H. (the other one)

I'd sure buy it over any new China machine. This machine was built to last , not built to sell cheaply . By the pictures it's in great shape and with a load of collets. It may even have been converted to use r8 collets some shops did have them retrofitted. I have wanted one for many years but my income is nill living on SS. I'd trade my Winchester 52 for it tho.

Back