VN Is this a good fit for my first mill?

Another option to keep in mind is that you can usually get a tow truck company to lift things for a very reasonable price. Call around and ask for a boom type truck, rather than a flatbed.

Ok, so I now own a VN #12 and a 6 inch Kurt vice. Now the fun begins and now I have joined the ranks of those that will be poor forever with the addition of needing MORE TOOLS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your pics & updates John! Let the adventure begin.

John TV,
Congrats on the mill. You're going to like it. My first VN was a 12 and well tooled. Liked it so much, I sold it and got an even bigger VN 24 with the universal table. Just like Brookwood's. They are addictive. And they can do things my Bridgport can't. Even with my complete horizontal milling attachment for the Bridgeport, it is capable of only light cuts over a limited work envelope. Most horizontal mills have bigger tables, longer travel, and power feeds in all directions. That is what made me seek out a good horizontal. Was attracted to the VN's because of the ease of going from horizontal to vertical mode without disturbing the workpiece.

Couple tips: Get the chart on modern lubricants that Cal so graciously posted in the past. Should come up on the search function. And get a good clamping set to augment the Kurt.

Moving: I've moved half a dozen multi-ton machines and a few little (VN 12/Bridgeports) with the hydraulic drop bed trailers. Worked slick with a pallet jack and a heavy duty pallet. I make mine out of 4X4s and 2X6s. But I also put a sheet of heavy plywood over that. Once the machine is on the pallet, I punch thru all the accumulated dirt/chips/and old oil in the machine base holes and drill into the wood. Then I use long eye bolts/nuts or all thread rod (depending on the thickness of the base) to bolt it down. Typical sizes are 1/2 or 5/8. Chain and chain binders are superior to the ratchet straps. Especially for trips of any distance. Just use plenty of wood between the chains and the machines as you tension them down. I use the ratchet straps as a additional backup. Takes more time but never have had a machine even slide a little bit. And I've hauled machines home from out of state. The few lathes I moved were moved with a long skid (4X4s again) bolted to were the leveling pads go. Then a pallet jack on each end.
I leave my mills, surface grinder, etc on the pallets. Much easier to reconfigure the shop as needed. The lathes are on the concrete and leveled.

I use a small winch and rope wrapped around the base of the machine and winch it onto the deck in the lowered position. There is a small lip at the edge of the beds and you just can't get enough momentum to safely pull the pallet jack over it. More control too.

I've used gantries or fork lifts at point of purchase to put them on the pallets. Not sure about tipping a mill enough to get a pallet under it. I would be comfortable using my Johnson bar or big crow bar to lift it enough to put some iron pipe or round stock.

Back