Is this a good idea? Putting Penn State DC Motor on die filer?

dave d

Registered
Registered
I would like to be able to control the speed of my die filer (slow it down, mainly) and saw this set up from Penn State. It is sold to upgrade lathes to variable speed.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html

I have watched so many You Tube videos about DC motors from treadmills, etc and just get more confused. This seems like a nice neat and easy option. Not as cheap as a salvaged part, but I think the cost is reasonable if it gets the job done for me.

You guys are a lot smarter than I am, so please let me know what you think of this idea.
Thanks!
Dave

I am not sure the step pulley setup is ideal? It adds complexity. How about just going with a DC motor and speed control OR change the existing pulley ratio. You don't need both features. If you go with that item do you have a place to mount the intermediate shaft?
Robert

Looks promising Dave. Let us know how it works. Been thinking of trying a treadmill motor on mine for some time.

Greg

You might want to take a look at a Sherline drive. The Clockspring guy used one on his machine. I have one in a box waiting on my die filer project.

It is a DC motor with lots of torque at low speed. While it is a bit more pricey than the Penn State solution, it has far better turn down which you need for a die filer in my opinion.

Sherline Motor and Control

You might want to take a look at a Sherline drive. The Clockspring guy used one on his machine. I have one in a box waiting on my die filer project.

It is a DC motor with lots of torque at low speed. While it is a bit more pricey than the Penn State solution, it has far better turn down which you need for a die filer in my opinion.

Sherline Motor and Control
Hi Alan,
I saw that too, but the price of those is a bit much for me. I have a Sherline lathe and really like it. This Penn State thing seemed cheap enough to me.

I am not sure the step pulley setup is ideal? It adds complexity. How about just going with a DC motor and speed control OR change the existing pulley ratio. You don't need both features. If you go with that item do you have a place to mount the intermediate shaft?
Robert
The problem with a DC motor and speed control for me is that I do not understand them. All the videos I watch just make it seem so complicated. I cant put a bigger pulley on the die filer as there is no room. I guess a bigger one on the motor might slow it down, right?

If you go bigger on the motor you will speed it up. You need to go smaller on the motor and larger on the die filer.

"Billy G"

Yes, I agree it is pricey. I bought mine from an ebay seller a few months back and saved a few bucks. Unfortunately when I searched for him this morning again I discovered he is no longer with us.

Looks like the lowest rpm that the Penn State unit will produce is 650 rpm which was too fast for me.

No, a bigger pulley on the motor will speed it all up. You need a smaller one on the motor.

Looks like the lowest rpm that the Penn State unit will produce is 650 rpm which was too fast for me.
Actually we don't know the motor rpm. We only know the rpm of the spindle based on the assumed pulley setup. Assuming a penn state lathe.
I think they should have posted the motor rpm, for a clear conversion as well.

I suspect the Penn state speed control is just a cheap "light dimmer" type with poor speed regulation
for that price you wouldn't be getting a KB style control with current sensing
Mark

Back