Is this a good idea?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
Found this video on Youtube. I was thinking of doing the same to my new lathe, though I'm a newbie, so I'm a bit hesitant.

What's that blue paint he's got? I've seen it before on milling videos. Also, what's that scraper tool he's using to flatten out the surfaces?

Nelson told us in the Reconditioning forum not to add You Tube shows. Why didn't you ask this question in the reconditioning forum?

Experienced people hesitate to do it. Newbies probably shouldn’t be scraping on their lathe.

Nelson told us in the Reconditioning forum not to add You Tube shows. Why didn't you ask this question in the reconditioning forum?

I didn't even know what the term "reconditioning" is as it pertains to machining. I try not to wander outside of the beginner's section as I'm a newbie's newbie and I'll just get lost in the terminology that I'm not yet familiar with. I don't want to flood myself with too much info as of yet.

If you want to see an experienced reconditioner type my name Richard King Scraping on You Tube and you will see several students who filmed me.
You should look down the forums. You have 61 messages, you're no longer a rookie.

I found the reconditioning forum just now.

Last edited:
Reconditioning generally pertains to the refitting of worn machinery, and to my mind, the compound rest of a lathe is probably the least worn sliding surface on any lathe; the reason that many people work on a compound rest is that it is a small project that lends itself to the training process as a small project that teaches the lessons that would provide general knowledge of the scraping process that would prepare them for larger projects, such as the cross slide of a lathe for refitting. This is not something to enter into willy nilly and is not to be adequately learned by most any U Tube video; research (reading) is required, and at best, a class to learn the skills is recommended, such as Rich King's classes, conveying proven information and teaching proven skills and technique.

Richard King's abilities to go beyond bringing a machine's ways true is celebrated in his ability to actually teach his approach & methods. This is seen on Keith Rucker's & so many other's videos as far away as our friend Stefan Gotteswinter in Germany. By saying & I quote, "I'm a newbie's newbie and I'll just get lost in the terminology that I'm not yet familiar with. I don't want to flood myself with too much info as of yet." You are negating up front anyone's desire to help. This is just wrong. We have people that don't speak our language taking real interest & doing their best to digest any info shared with them. This is because they are genuinely interested in actually learning regardless of input & feedback. Other sites will do that to a man - just beat down anything said. I've been there too. Here? Shoot straight or wonder why there are no replies. What John York said in response to you is a credit to him, his patience & his higher learning. I can only aspire to his understanding. As a newbie myself, I say what I have so point blank to you to help you aim your course true that your successes may multiply.

When I teach classes in the Bay Area, I invite John to attend.....As he is a great teacher and has forgot more about machine tools either running them or repairing them most will ever know. I consider him a "Best Friend" too. I always love to invite men of his qualifications to come to my classes.

The next class in Zainesville OH the host is John Saunders of NYC CNC on you tube and I have invited Alex Slocum - Professor at MIT to attend. If he comes it will be a high light of my career. :) Everyone have a safe 4th. Happy Birthday to the USA! Rich

Back