Is this normal ?

jpackard56

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have confirmed that the headstock is a Jarnco #8 last week. Expecting a smaller Jarnco on tailstock, even though quickly I had put a mt#2 in before the more I noodled I figured I really need to verify...
Just confirmed that the tailstock is in fact a nice fitting mt#2. Wouldn't both ends be of the same family/group of tapers ?

Which/what make/model of lathe?
I have confirmed that the headstock is a Jarnco #8 last week. Expecting a smaller Jarnco on tailstock, even though quickly I had put a mt#2 in before the more I noodled I figured I really need to verify...
Just confirmed that the tailstock is in fact a nice fitting mt#2. Wouldn't both ends be of the same family/group of tapers ?

unfortunately, that is not the case.
some manufacturers mixed and matched as they seen fit

The JARNO taper series made a lot of sense when it was proposed, the tapers do not vary and the dimensions are all according to formula, but it never really caught on for most machines, except for perhaps cylindrical grinders, there it is common. Since a lathe most generally has a morse taper tailstock taper, it does not really matter what is used in the headstock because nearly all industrial lathes use a taper bushing to hold a center, and the taper in the spindle can be anything, most lathes seem to use a Morse taper modified for length so as to be flush with the spindle end, but using a Jarno taper would have been OK if the sizes were more convenient, given the spindle ID. There were a few lathe manufacturers that offered the Jarno taper for tailstock, but not many.

Thanks John . Jarno taper ! I ground more than a few years back on the grinders .

Which/what make/model of lathe?
It is a Seneca Falls Star #20. Projectnut put me onto the Jarnco tapers last week and after some checking I determined the headstock is Jarnco #8. The tailstock, however is MT #2. I checked the tailstock by inserting a MT #2 with dykem and it is a real nice fit.
So apparently Seneca Falls was a mix and match manufacturer, at least on this one...
Thanks everybody,
Jim

My 9" Star is the same I think. Definitely MT2 tailstock, never had anything for the headstock....

Back