is this piece worth saving?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 9-22 Motor Base that will fit on a 101.07403 lathe. It is broken in two places. The broken piece on the left is welded to the plate, which is not part of the "official" part.

To weld it would cost about $40-$50.

I don't need it, but thought I might sell it to someone who could fix it, but not if it's not worth fixing. I hate to throw it out because they're not making anymore, but I don't want to waste time and money. Thoughts?
lathe part 9-22.jpg

I agree, post it for sale as is. If you don't need it, don't spend money on it. Depending on the person they might not be happy with how it was repaired so let them do it the way they choose. If you had thoughts of tossing it then you have nothing to loose by posting it up for sale.

Let the potential buyer decide on its end worth! Post it up on ebay with a price you could live with in its current state and let nature take its course. For the right price it will be "Worth the effort" to someone.......thats my 2cents worth!

I agree, post it for sale as is. If you don't need it, don't spend money on it. Depending on the person they might not be happy with how it was repaired so let them do it the way they choose. If you had thoughts of tossing it then you have nothing to loose by posting it up for sale.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to hear. I just wanted to see if anyone else thought there might be some interest in it.

I just wanted to see if anyone else thought there might be some interest in it.

Oh in that case (if I'm understanding correctly), try posting it in the classifieds section. You are a supporting member (H-M thanks you for that) so you do have the priveleges of posting there.

To weld it would cost about $40-$50.

They go for between $25 and $45 on ebay in good condition. As cheap as it will likely have to sell for, and since ebay and paypal fees are also paid on the shipping cost, you would be much better selling it here.

They go for between $25 and $45 on ebay in good condition. As cheap as it will likely have to sell for, and since ebay and paypal fees are also paid on the shipping cost, you would be much better selling it here.

Yeah, but would anyone buy it? I've had a bunch of lathe parts for sale and have had no inquiries, but I've sold 5 items on Ebay. I don't care to pay fees and all that either, but I just want this stuff gone. As long as I recoup the cost of the donor lathe, I'm okay with whatever I get. I'm not trying to make a living or a killing selling this.

It would cost about $15 just for shipping.

Yeah, but would anyone buy it? I've had a bunch of lathe parts for sale and have had no inquiries, but I've sold 5 items on Ebay. I don't care to pay fees and all that either, but I just want this stuff gone. As long as I recoup the cost of the donor lathe, I'm okay with whatever I get. I'm not trying to make a living or a killing selling this.

It would cost about $15 just for shipping.
Yeah, that's why ebay is not the place to sell. Your best bet is if you can give it away to someone that can repair it themselves that would only have to pay for shipping.

Back