Is this small-lathe tooling package from LMS a good deal?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Little Machine Shop has a small lathe tooling package for new mini-lathe owners for $219.95.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3527&category

"The AXA (Series 100) quick change tool post set (QCTP) includes the tool post, mounting hardware, a turning & facing tool holder, a boring, turning & facing tool holder, a heavy duty boring bar holder, a universal parting blade holder, and a knurling, facing & turning tool holder. The quick change tool post is made from hardened steel. No tools are required to change tools. Additional tool holders are available. It requires some level of work, tapping a hole, or making a T-slot nut, to mount this QCTP on your lathe.

The turning tool holders accept tools with 3/8" to 1/2" shank. The turning and boring tool holder accepts boring bars with up to 1/2" round shanks. The cut-off tool holder holds 1/2" tall parting blades.

The 1/2" capacity drill chuck is mounted on a standard 2 Morse taper shank. The rated capacity of the drill chuck is 1 mm (0.039") to 13 mm (0.512").

The set of 1/2" shank indexable turning tools includes 5 tools (TAR, TAL, TBR, TBL, TE), inserts, a wrench, and extra screws. It comes in a fitted case. The carbide inserts are TCMM-321.

The carbide tipped 9-piece boring bar set includes three different length boring bars each for minimum bores of 5/16", 3/8", and 7/16". The bore depth ranges from 3/4" to 2-1/4". The heat treated, alloy steel shanks are held to 0.000 to -0.0005" from the nominal diameter.

The P1 parting blade is 1/16" x 1/2" x 4-1/2" and made from M2 HSS. These T-shape parting blades provide great side clearance.

This package includes 4 different sizes of combined drills and countersinks, commonly called center drills. The center drill set is high speed steel and includes sizes 1,2,3,and 4. These are 60 degree center drills. These are the sizes that are most used by bench top machinists."

What do you guys think? Is this a good value for NEW lathe owners?

Thanks!

Nelson

I'm thinking "small" lathe in this case means 9" and up. I can't imagine an AXA tool post on my "mini'lathe" ie. 7-x. ???

Steve,

Is it a good deal vis a vis buying everything separately or particular makes of tooling?

Thanks,

Nelson

Nelson,

It seemed like a good deal to me, the only things in the package that I already owned were the center drills. The package is far from everything you need, but there doesn't seem to be any unneccesary fluff in in either.

I've had an SX-3 for about a 1-1/2 years - the HF 7x10 is my first lathe so I was starting from scratch and the package deal from LMS got me up and running. I did also order the 20 TPI screw kit to change the carriage & cross slide to read "real" 0.001".

So far as particular brands of tooling go, in that my "platform" is an HF 7x10, I can't justify spending more for a name-brand QCTP than I did for the lathe itself :) My experience over the past couple of years has been that the "generic" stuff sold by LMS is at least equal to, if not better than the quality and capabilities of my import machinery.

Steve

Little Machine Shop has a small lathe tooling package for new mini-lathe owners for $219.95.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3527&category

"The AXA (Series 100) quick change tool post set (QCTP) includes the tool post, mounting hardware, a turning & facing tool holder, a boring, turning & facing tool holder, a heavy duty boring bar holder, a universal parting blade holder, and a knurling, facing & turning tool holder. The quick change tool post is made from hardened steel. No tools are required to change tools. Additional tool holders are available. It requires some level of work, tapping a hole, or making a T-slot nut, to mount this QCTP on your lathe.

The turning tool holders accept tools with 3/8" to 1/2" shank. The turning and boring tool holder accepts boring bars with up to 1/2" round shanks. The cut-off tool holder holds 1/2" tall parting blades.

The 1/2" capacity drill chuck is mounted on a standard 2 Morse taper shank. The rated capacity of the drill chuck is 1 mm (0.039") to 13 mm (0.512").

The set of 1/2" shank indexable turning tools includes 5 tools (TAR, TAL, TBR, TBL, TE), inserts, a wrench, and extra screws. It comes in a fitted case. The carbide inserts are TCMM-321.

The carbide tipped 9-piece boring bar set includes three different length boring bars each for minimum bores of 5/16", 3/8", and 7/16". The bore depth ranges from 3/4" to 2-1/4". The heat treated, alloy steel shanks are held to 0.000 to -0.0005" from the nominal diameter.

The P1 parting blade is 1/16" x 1/2" x 4-1/2" and made from M2 HSS. These T-shape parting blades provide great side clearance.

This package includes 4 different sizes of combined drills and countersinks, commonly called center drills. The center drill set is high speed steel and includes sizes 1,2,3,and 4. These are 60 degree center drills. These are the sizes that are most used by bench top machinists."

What do you guys think? Is this a good value for NEW lathe owners?

Thanks!

Nelson
Hi Nelson,
The package looks pretty good. I have a similar arrangement on my Myford super 7 lathe but the tool holder is 4 way. I have used the tool holders for many years before getting so frustrated at changing tools in the holders that I stopped work on all my projects and made 6 more tool holders. What a blessing I now have each tool holder dedicated to one type of tool and just have to quick change the holder to chamfer a corner or bore a hole larger. My frustrations on the lathe are now ended and I am even more happier in the workshop than I have any right to be. If you are up to it, make your own It's not too difficult and will stretch your abilities to the fullest. "O" and It costs a whole lot less than your advertised kit.
Cheers Smoky

I think it's a pretty good deal, especially if you don't have anything in the package. Personally I'd price up the package minus the indexable tools and see if I could buy some extra holders and HSS blanks with the difference (if any), but that's my personal take on it.

Either way, it's a good starting point - note the starting bit :) You'll be buying plenty more tooling before long as you figure out what you need and what works best for you.

Back