Is this some sort of machine base?

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
Does anybody recognize this "thing"? I am its new owner, as it was attached to the bottom of my new-to-me band saw. It is cast iron, sturdy, about 20" long x 18" wide & 3" high. It currently has mower-type wheels on it but I'm sure they were added more recently. My first thought was lawn mower, but then it started looking like a machine base of sorts.. Does anybody know?
Thanks!

0421181950xx.jpg

Interesting. Does it have another wheel at the front, as in a wheel that was there originally? (as opposed to what I suspect may be an aftermarket modification under the small acorn nut)

If not, I wonder if it may have been an early incarnation of something like this for either polishing or grinding floors? They rely on the heavy weight at the front of the machine. Googled these couple images -- not precisely the vintage I was looking for but close enough to get the idea.

-frank
Capture fp1.JPGCapture fp2.JPG

is there any debris underneath that would give a clue---with the oblong shape I wouldn't think it was a lawn mower but the height adjusters are similar--yours doesn't have a place for handle to mount to----I remember having a two wheel lawn mower without a front support but that was 45 years ago--the downward air force was supposed to keep it level but it left the lawn very choppy looking--Dave

Francist, that is an interesting thought. (flashback to Army barracks living.. ha)
There is no 'useful' debris left as a clue. The nut on the front was holding a caster wheel, which is not original & was added. There are some cast 'bosses' underneath, one at the front and at each back corner. These look to possibly be supports for an axle or wheel of some sort (?). I should get a pic of the bottom added tonight.

Looks to me it's a base and someone added the wheels to make it Mobil in the shop.

Whatever it is it sort of looks familiar. I definitely think the lawnmower wheels and adjusters are not original and much later vintage.

I'm inclined to believe it was a motor mount. The wheels we added later to re-purpose.
A motor mounted to the 4 points, and it pivoted where the wheels are to adjust belt tension. Maybe on a bandsaw?

I think it’s a base for a automotive headlight adjuster. It would roll along a metal track mounted on the shop floor perpendicular with the vehicle. The 2 stubs on each top side would mount 2 inverted U shaped chrome tubes which held the adjustable headlight pointing lenses. The front wheel would be a castor and the rear wheels were mounted under the housing orientated to roll the machine left or right,parrelal to front bumper of the auto.

Back