Is This South Bend Worth $1000?

Srbowles

Registered
Registered
For you folks that know some stuff about the South Bend... Can you tell from the pictures if this is worth $1000? All I know is it’s a 13” x 60”. From the catalog number it appears to have been produced in 1956. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

290103E6-8BEA-44C0-B220-9C5E747E3C9B.jpeg

D5859BE8-395B-44B4-B31B-DCC5FCE78D77.jpeg

F3BC7A88-A475-4629-85DE-56F02BD82DDB.jpeg

DE5BC3E1-04F1-4C7C-9FAA-9B08D802790F.jpeg

0DAA287C-A7D4-4F9B-A0EA-DACF1787B8D3.jpeg

9207455B-02F2-4304-BBBE-89C4A6912648.jpeg

To me it is. But what do I know?

It all depends on the condition of the ways , cross slide, gearbox and spindle.
If it's still tight, not abused, yes 1k is a good price. If it has a 3jaw and 4 jaw plus collets it would be a good deal..

Can you run it ? If not I guess try wiggling the cross slide , compound . Lift up on the chuck it shouldn't have any play feelable movement. Ck the wear on ways ,, thumbnail top of vee . Look at the lead screw the gears . Engage the levers Ck for slop . Look to see if it's been oiled regularly there should be some present everywhere. I've seen worse LATHES for more money.

Chuck keys in...Red flag to indicate owner not good caretaker.

Has taper and good size 3 phase motor.

Look at getting a good vfd.

We used Allen bradley 13xx series on ours and modified the drum switch to control it.

We also added a foot bar for stop so we did not need to reach over the work.

If it can be powered up run it through all speeds and listen.

If can't be run due to owner not having 3 phase then inspect very carefully and check for slop.

Regardless take a 2 X 4 and dial indicator to pry on the chuck to check for slop.

Take a wad of 20 dollar bills as they look like more and place 600 in one pocket and the rest in the other and start offer by offering the 600 and see where you get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I have the twin to that lathe, built in '57. I paid $1000 for it 25 yrs. ago.....best money I ever spent.

It all depends on the condition of the ways , cross slide, gearbox and spindle.
If it's still tight, not abused, yes 1k is a good price. If it has a 3jaw and 4 jaw plus collets it would be a good deal..
Okay, thank you for your input. I believe the guy only had the three-jaw.

Can you run it ? If not I guess try wiggling the cross slide , compound . Lift up on the chuck it shouldn't have any play feelable movement. Ck the wear on ways ,, thumbnail top of vee . Look at the lead screw the gears . Engage the levers Ck for slop . Look to see if it's been oiled regularly there should be some present everywhere. I've seen worse LATHES for more money.
Silverbullet - thank you for your response. I have not yet seen the lathe in person yet, but the items you have listed here look like good check points.

Chuck keys in...Red flag to indicate owner not good caretaker.

Has taper and good size 3 phase motor.

Look at getting a good vfd.

We used Allen bradley 13xx series on ours and modified the drum switch to control it.

We also added a foot bar for stop so we did not need to reach over the work.

If it can be powered up run it through all speeds and listen.

If can't be run due to owner not having 3 phase then inspect very carefully and check for slop.

Regardless take a 2 X 4 and dial indicator to pry on the chuck to check for slop.

Take a wad of 20 dollar bills as they look like more and place 600 in one pocket and the rest in the other and start offer by offering the 600 and see where you get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Tq60 - Thanks for responding. Wow, yeah, I noticed the key chuck in as well. Just from what I have read here and other places this is a big no no. Certainly shouldn’t be a storage place anyway. I would have to get a VFD for sure. The foot bar stop switch really makes good sense. I spoke to the fellow on the phone about this and he do not have it powered yet, but said he could and would send me a video. I like your idea about taking the dial indicator. Thanks again for the advice. The folks here on the forum are awesome with suggestions. Great bunch of people!

I have the twin to that lathe, built in '57. I paid $1000 for it 25 yrs. ago.....best money I ever spent.
Wow! What I understand these South Bends just go and go. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Back