Is This South Bend Worth $1000?

Most of the tooling (lantern type) will end up setting on your shelf. Put the live center in the tail stock and check for run out. The price isn't bad, and can possibly be had for less. All good info above. Hope it works out for you. Mike

Most of the tooling (lantern type) will end up setting on your shelf. Put the live center in the tail stock and check for run out. The price isn't bad, and can possibly be had for less. All good info above. Hope it works out for you. Mike
Thanks for the advice Mike! The owner sounded pretty firm about $1000. I just wanted to check with you guys on this to see if it was an okay deal or not. Good day.

Oh chuck key probably to show its got one. 1000 bucks have you priced a set of tires for a F350 thats going to be all
worn out in a few yrs???? got it

As mentioned the key is probably in the chuck just to show it has one. I doubt anyone would be running the machine with the tool holders lying in the chip tray on a rag, the key in the drill chuck, and the cover open on the gear train. It's more of an advertising shot to show what comes with the machine than a shot of it in the working mode.

Also I doubt the owner would be trying to use it when setting on a pair of dollies. Then again that may be a safety mechanism. As it slowly walks across the room it eventually unplugs itself.

As mentioned the key is probably in the chuck just to show it has one. I doubt anyone would be running the machine with the tool holders lying in the chip tray on a rag, the key in the drill chuck, and the cover open on the gear train. It's more of an advertising shot to show what comes with the machine than a shot of it in the working mode.

Also I doubt the owner would be trying to use it when setting on a pair of dollies. Then again that may be a safety mechanism. As it slowly walks across the room it eventually unplugs itself.
Thanks projectnut - The owner said that he picked it up with a bunch of other equipment and he was going to restore it but simply does not have enough time to do that. He seems to be up front on everything. He even said he would help me install a VFD for 120V. Since he has received it he has not had it hooked up and running yet. I think you are probably correct to say that the chuck key is in place to show that it has one.

Oh chuck key probably to show its got one. 1000 bucks have you priced a set of tires for a F350 thats going to be all
worn out in a few yrs???? got it
Right. The lathe will last much longer...

You won't lose money. Ck parts on eBay , the taper attachments are $750. If they do sell one for that money. If your going looking for a used machine to be like new you'll never buy one. You as the machinist need to learn how to make it hold the accuracy you need. In my early years of apprenticeship I had to run machines from flatbelt drive era. You could wiggle the slides and lots of slop. I used extra clamps and indicators to watch every movement. But I made tolerances with totally worn out machine because it was the only one we had for the job. Looking at the pictures I see no reason unless it's slop is in the gibs . To not look at it. There was one near me cheaper but I'm not able to buy really anything anymore .

You won't lose money. Ck parts on eBay , the taper attachments are $750. If they do sell one for that money. If your going looking for a used machine to be like new you'll never buy one. You as the machinist need to learn how to make it hold the accuracy you need. In my early years of apprenticeship I had to run machines from flatbelt drive era. You could wiggle the slides and lots of slop. I used extra clamps and indicators to watch every movement. But I made tolerances with totally worn out machine because it was the only one we had for the job. Looking at the pictures I see no reason unless it's slop is in the gibs . To not look at it. There was one near me cheaper but I'm not able to buy really anything anymore .
Thanks Silverbullet!

Tq60 - Thanks for responding. Wow, yeah, I noticed the key chuck in as well. Just from what I have read here and other places this is a big no no. Certainly shouldn’t be a storage place anyway. I would have to get a VFD for sure. The foot bar stop switch really makes good sense. I spoke to the fellow on the phone about this and he do not have it powered yet, but said he could and would send me a video. I like your idea about taking the dial indicator. Thanks again for the advice. The folks here on the forum are awesome with suggestions. Great bunch of people!

Just a note of caution when looking at prices on eBay. The majority of the asking prices for South Bend taper attachments may be in the $750.00 and up range. However if you look at the "Sold" listings the majority go for $300.00 to $500.00. There are a few that had OBO (or best offer) along with the asking price. Most sold, but since they sold for the best offer you really don't know what the final price was.

to be honest, by the time people come on here and ask "is it worth it", it's already gone. I would have been in my car to the trailer rental yard the moment that popped up on CL. I personally wouldn't dicker with the price, it's more than fair and you'll only p!$$ the seller off if you try offering $600.

Back