Is this steady rest too good to modify?

Danreb,

Nice work!

Could you go over your SOTP flycutter arrangement in a bit more detail? I can see some sort of a bar with "the bit" all (somehow) tied to a faceplate. It looks very ingenious and I'd like to be able to do something similar.

Thanks

Danreb,

Nice work!

Could you go over your SOTP flycutter arrangement in a bit more detail? I can see some sort of a bar with "the bit" all (somehow) tied to a faceplate. It looks very ingenious and I'd like to be able to do something similar.

Thanks

Thanks thunderbiril, I really enjoyed the challenge I did a lot of thinking, just what I want from a hobby :)

As to the fly cutter, the tool holder came with a bunch of old tooling I blagged from somewhere, no idea what it's use was.

I drilled and tapped a new hole for a larger grub screw to hold what looks like a small grooving tool from the same bunch, I drilled a hole in the holder for a fixing bolt near the tool, this screws into a T nut behind the dog plate.

The scrap bin strap is bolted into existing threaded holes in the plate (by someone lacking an eye for the perpendicular), I didn't bother with a counter weight as I used a very low speed due to the relatively large swing of the tool.

The large cutting radius meant much less chance of a climb cut, and if the work was held up near the spindle center line this would help avoid any chatter or grabbing due to my worn cross slide screw, to make really sure I fed the work towards me, cutting from the front of the work towards the back, with fairly tight gibs this took all the play out of the screw and worked a treat..

I reckon this job was near the limit of my Atlas due to the cross slide travel, but I feel I know it's tricky little ways now, so will give the milling attachment another go sometime..:biggrin:

SOTP ???

DSCF7806.JPG

DSCF7807.JPG

Bernard

DSCF7806.JPG DSCF7807.JPG

Sorry about the abbreviation... "seat of the pants". Fully meant as a compliment!

Thanks so much for the pictures. I'm very much a beginner. I've done a little end milling and it was great fun. However, an end mill on the Atlas milling attachment doesn't cover much area. I'd like to get up to a radius of about 3 or 4 inches so that I max out the capabilities of the milling attachement I have and/or go larger with a mount on the saddle as you've done to cover more area. Your creation looks like an option for covering some serious area.

Again, thank you!

Back