Is this the backlash or something else

If you try and asjust the nut for 0 backlash, then you will be bearing on both sides of the acme nut and it will wear out or need adjustment rapidly. Can you lock the cross slide when taking a cut to avoid taper?

Just noticed in your sig you are a Distinguished Rifleman, that's quite the award! Working towards mine, need 6 more EIC points. What are you distinguished in, Hipower? If so, service rifle, 300m?

Lock the carriage/saddle to the bed and try again, if you have only 6 thou in the cross slideyou are fine!

Just noticed in your sig you are a Distinguished Rifleman, that's quite the award! Working towards mine, need 6 more EIC points. What are you distinguished in, Hipower? If so, service rifle, 300m?

Distinguish in High Power, 1996, service rifle.

Congratulations, 6 more points to go, you will get it at the next match.

If you try and asjust the nut for 0 backlash, then you will be bearing on both sides of the acme nut and it will wear out or need adjustment rapidly. Can you lock the cross slide when taking a cut to avoid taper?

The taper has been adjusted out when I adjusted the headstock using the Brian Miller's MT5 test bar. I do lock the cross slide when I make the finishing pass, just for insurance.

In the lathes we use there must be some backlash. Backlash is a product of both parts, nut and screw. At zero backlash all surfaces of the thread, nut and screw, are touching. When this happens the assembly ceases to turn. CNC relies on anti- backlash nuts. Whole different animal.

"Billy G"

Today asI was cleaning the lathe after doing a project, for laughs and giggles I chucked in a test bar and stuck an indicator on the bar to see how well the head to ways alignment I did was holding up. The alignment appears to be just fine, then for whatever reasons I decided to do some checks for anything loose. When I got to the cross slide I pushed and pull and I could hear and feel a definite movement. The indicator verified the movement - 0.006.

The backlash on the cross slide happens to be 0.006 as well. The question, is the movement I noticed the backlash, just displayed/exhibited in a different way?

The video is not very clear, but if you look closely at the indicator by my left hand you can see the hand moving with push/pull. The compound is solid, I was just using the tool post as a convenience item.

View My Video

Thank you.

.006 is pretty good. I have worked with worse. If you are concerned about repeatably of your cross-feed use a indicator like you have setup. I have done that several times to be sure I had all the backlash out.

The nut he mentioned will likely be the one that rides on the leadscrew and is attached to the part that moves. Quite a few of them are designed with the ability to tighten them a bit on the leadscrew. Just enough to take out excessive movement, but not enough to make it harder to turn the crank.

6 thou backlash would make a lot of us giddy. I wouldn't worry about it for manual work.

Thank you.

I ran the cross slide away from the operator side as far as I could to see where that nut is, sure enough there is one and it has a socket head what appears to be an adjustment accessible from the back. Without taking the back splash I just reached over and felt the piece. I grabbed the socket head with my fingers and I could turn it, needless to say, it is loose. By just tightening with my fingers I was able to remove 0.001 from the movement. Grabbed an Allen and tightened it. I stop at 0.002 movement. The crank still feels the same so I don't think I over did it.

View My Video
View My Video

The question is that adjustment too tight?

Last edited:
.002 is great. No it is not too tight. Most of the guys here would kill for .002.

"Billy G"

Back