Is upgrading to G0761 worth it?

I have no attachment to the round column I own. I would not miss it if it suddenly became a square column. I am aware of it's issues, and have been able to work within them so far. My main question was just because I don't know how much I don't know.

You know enough, Scott. What you gain with a square column is that your head position remains square to the work as you move it; that's basically it. Of course, with the power down feed and other modern features the G0760 has it would be a nice upgrade but only you can determine how valuable they are. You already upgraded your spindle so you present machine is already accurate.

I have asked myself the same question - should I upgrade my mill? After a lot of reflection, I have concluded that my RF-31 does what I need it to do. If I switched, I would go straight to a knee mill for the added rigidity. I feel that any mill in which the head moves cannot be as rigid as a knee mill, where the head does not move. For me anyway, that is the only upgrade worth the cost.

Consider spending the cash on a power feed and/or DRO

My RF30/31 (honestly I'm not sure which one to call it, I've upgraded the bearings as Mikey said. I'm going to call it a RF 30.5) already has DRO's added. They are not the top of the line. I used the Igaging absolute I think. They work for me and it was a great upgrade.

You know enough, Scott. What you gain with a square column is that your head position remains square to the work as you move it; that's basically it. Of course, with the power down feed and other modern features the G0760 has it would be a nice upgrade but only you can determine how valuable they are. You already upgraded your spindle so you present machine is already accurate.

I have asked myself the same question - should I upgrade my mill? After a lot of reflection, I have concluded that my RF-31 does what I need it to do. If I switched, I would go straight to a knee mill for the added rigidity. I feel that any mill in which the head moves cannot be as rigid as a knee mill, where the head does not move. For me anyway, that is the only upgrade worth the cost.

I think you are right, going to a square column wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to make it worth the trouble and cost. When I sell the Southbend, I'll look around a bit for a knee mill since I have the room. If not a knee, I'll keep trucking with what I have. I've been impressed with what I can do with it so far.

I do wish I had a better vise though.

I think you are right, going to a square column wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to make it worth the trouble and cost. When I sell the Southbend, I'll look around a bit for a knee mill since I have the room. If not a knee, I'll keep trucking with what I have. I've been impressed with what I can do with it so far.

I do wish I had a better vise though.

I have a few more things to get done before I review the True Line 8 but that might be worth emulating if it works. We'll see, but if it does work then it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new mill and would give you the primary advantage you are looking for.

The vise is easy - buy a Kurt/Glacern/Parlec vise. I know you're already clear on how important a good vise is so I'm preaching to the choir.

I have a few more things to get done before I review the True Line 8 but that might be worth emulating if it works. We'll see, but if it does work then it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new mill and would give you the primary advantage you are looking for.

The vise is easy - buy a Kurt/Glacern/Parlec vise. I know you're already clear on how important a good vise is so I'm preaching to the choir.

we'll get a better Vice at some point but I will probably wait a bit until I am better than the vice I have

Back