Iseki TL3200 tractor project

Yesterday was a rain day so I ripped into the Isuzu engine on the tractor. On analysis, I found one leaking valve
and very little wear on the engine cylinders. I plan to hone the cylinders and install new pistons and rings.
It's a difficult job because I am having to work on the engine with the loader attached. Today I am going to
work on installing a new set of valves and lapping them in using valve lapping compound and some layout dye.
After that it's on to dropping the oil and removing the oil pan so I can remove the old pistons. It's beginning to
look like possibly the engine was overheated once or something. It's a stout engine though with a cast iron
head. I also have new valve guides if I decide to use them but the old ones don't show much wear at all.
The cylinder bores are smooth as glass and no ridge at all on the top. It will be interesting to see what the
ring gap will be on the old rings when I get it all disassembled. The tachometer drive cable was broken and
the hour meter was showing about 1000 hours so that may be close to right considering what I am finding.
It may have sat for years since it was such a hard starting unit. That would explain the original tires.
I tested a new ring in the bore and only about .005 inch gap! It's not a diamond in the rough, more like a
rough diamond maybe...:encourage:

Yesterday I lapped and installed new valves so am fairly confidant the head is in better shape now.
There was a lot of carbon crud collecting in the intake valves so they had to be leaking some.

After pulling the pan and removing a piston and looking it all over, I find the new pistons are about .002 too big for the holes.
The head of the pistons fit in but the skirts are too tight to fit. I did hone some on the front cylinder but it's a slow go. My options
would be to hone it till the new piston skirt fits or use the old pistons with new rings. At this point, I'm looking for suggestions
as am not sure how to proceed.

P1030642.JPGP1030641.JPG
The head turned out all right but the piston fit thing has me bugged. Today I will take some serious bore measurements and try come
up with a course of action.

I agree with Tim. If ring lands on the pistons show no signs of distress, I would just reuse them. I have diesels with over 8k hours on them and they run just fine. While you have it that far apart make sure the block and head surfaces are flat. Your on the right track, just measure everything twice, and reassemble to spec. Mike

The Isuzu engine is back together and running! It was somewhat difficult to get it started emitting black and white smoke
but finally it took off. I ran it for several hours varying the speed and making it work intermittently. It seems fine working
it with the usual tasks so am hoping it will break in and be usable and easier to cold start. Installing the injector pump took a
number of tries to get the marks lined up so will take another look at that in the morning to be sure it is right. I guess I
will run it a few hours and see what happens. Also I see some blue smoke when varying the RPM so expect the rings
need a little time to seat. Tomorrow I will move some dirt and make the box blade dig in and see if it gets better over time.
Thanks everyone for reading along and helping with your suggestions.

Ok, folks. I have a few hours on the new overhaul and still looking for a machine that will fire off with more gusto.
I have to say it isn't bad but not as good as the other 1980 vintage machines I have.
Today I added some TC3 outboard motor oil and give it a run. It is better but not up to what I would expect.
A warm engine at 72 ambient temperature should not need the application of glow plugs I wouldn't think.
It runs great and has plenty of power so happy with that part. Maybe it needs a little more run in time to
be right. Any ideas?

If the glow plug issue is the only issue, personally I don't think I would worry about it much. My 2014 Kabuto glow plugs come on and it is in the mid to high 60s. I haven't tried to just start it, they are automatic, so I just wait for the light to go out before cranking it over.

Tim

Yesterday my new front tires by Deestone(8x18) arrived via Fedex. My old ones are still usable but looking
at price and availability in the future prompted me to have the replacement set tucked away for future needs.
These tires are made in Thailand I believe and look pretty nice for the money. It's kinda my Christmas present
to myself I guess.:)

Back