ISO 20t bronze gear for 4x6 horizontal bandsaw

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
hi all, a friend (no really!) stripped the 20t bronze gear in the gearbox of his 4x6 horizontal bandsaw. He's had a good look around but can only find 24t replacements. The dimensions are in his picture below:
Ben's gear.jpg

anyone know of a potential source for the gear?

thanks!

If ever you do find one, DO NOT USE AN EP OIL WITH IT. The EP additive will corrode the bronze and the worm will rub off the corrosion in an endless cycle, likely what ruined the gear in the first place. I saw one on a bottling machine that was run 5 days a week all day long, it failed in less than a year.

his gear wore out because the previous owner didn't put any oil in the gearbox and my friend didn't think to check. I use EP gear in my 4x6. Says clearly on the bottle "safe with yellow" metal. I've used it about 30h since then, changed the oil and both the gear and the oil look fine.

GL 4 formulation gear oil is what is used in older manual transmissions, GL 5 will eat the syncros. That's about all I know about it.

Boston gear carries (or carried) a replacement gear of that type but I don't remember the part number or if it had a keyway or not
They also have the matching worm I believe
Check on Amazon I think I saw them listed
-Mark

Back