[Source] ISO Rusnok Model 70 replacement motor.

Tonset

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I recently picked up Rusnok Model 70 head and I believe the motor was damaged in shipping. Buzz sound when trying to start it so I cleaned the starter contact. I then noticed a crease in the housing and gently tapped it out and it will pull start when wrapping shaft with string but then freezes up after 10 seconds or so. Magnet pieces fell out when cleaning the contact so I assume it’s toast. Anyway I’m looking for an easy swap. The data plate has the frame as a 56-2, but I cannot find that exact frame for sale. Will a 56c work? Mounting bolt hole is 3” center of shaft to bolt hole (might need to verify that) 4 mounting bolts are 4” apart in a square formation. The motor is reversible with a switch mounted on it. If some of you have a better upgrade, I’m all ears. Please see picture. Thanks!

65DF4D93-D952-4ECE-82FE-CC2FD18CB5DB.jpeg

Finding a replacement might be tough- I would try to fix it if the shaft isn't bent / binding. Can you repair the pieces that fell out with some epoxy?
Does it have a start capacitor? Most anything can be repaired except shorted or damaged windings
Mark
ps motors for these vertical heads usually have non-standard long shafts. Unless you happen across one on Ebay, you could be in for a long wait

Thanks, I took it to an electrical motor repair shop and they told me there was nothing they could do for it. Rather than drill holes in my motor mount plate I decided to fabricate a new plate to mount a more modern designed frame. I’m gonna keep looking for a vintage replacement.

868CB804-D273-41EE-BAED-C32D7A926EF0.jpeg

The dimensions from center of shaft to bolt hole suggest it is very close to a 56C bolt pattern. A 56C is 5-7/8” bolt circle. Did the motor shop measure it to suggest any replacements? Like a 56J if you need a longer shaft.

A motor shop won't want to do any custom work (like gluing parts back together) many of us on the board DIY that kind of stuff ourselves
to avoid the expensive alternative: buying new
It's OK to be thrifty sometimes. In my case, most of the time LOL

The dimensions from center of shaft to bolt hole suggest it is very close to a 56C bolt pattern. A 56C is 5-7/8” bolt circle. Did the motor shop measure it to suggest any replacements? Like a 56J if you need a longer shaft.
It was Bobs electric motor service in Denver. They recommended going up to a 1/3hp. They didn’t suggest the j frame to me. I’m almost done with it, found a new comparable 1/4hp marathon electric motor. They seemed to be shy of repairing the vintage motor.

A motor shop won't want to do any custom work (like gluing parts back together) many of us on the board DIY that kind of stuff ourselves
to avoid the expensive alternative: buying new
It's OK to be thrifty sometimes. In my case, most of the time LOL
I put a claim in with UPS, they will take the motor from me and be scrapped if they deem it shipping damage. Motor shop said it needs to be re-wound. The cap flange had the tabs all broken around half of it. That’s probably what I thought was magnet pieces falling out of it. See damage pics

933E0833-8311-4056-B591-8600358CB4E4.jpeg

16B3CC0B-4CFF-41E0-872E-7A55850D8EAB.jpeg

478E7894-2362-460C-9467-91ACB6C209AD.jpeg

I see what you mean- it really got clobbered
How is the head itself? No serious damage?
M
ps this is what I dislike about Ebay- you can get a great deal on something only to have it smashed up in shipping
and many sellers don't understand how to package large heavy items, or don't want to put forth the extra effort

I see what you mean- it really got clobbered
How is the head itself? No serious damage?
M
ps this is what I dislike about Ebay- you can get a great deal on something only to have it smashed up in shipping
and many sellers don't understand how to package large heavy items, or don't want to put forth the extra effort
The motor was shipped and insured separately, luckily. The head was fine, needs cleaning. I sold off my Porter Cable MK2 attachment to help fund the little rusnok. I will be using it for light stuff and switch back to the h-mill for heavier cutting. The little Burke is a stout machine. Here is how I packed the MK2 milling attachment before boxing it, and final installation of new head motor.

7D636AD0-570F-48BA-969B-BE4EA0A09B0B.jpeg

793AB566-DE8E-4B35-BB43-34945E0325BB.jpeg

The motor was shipped and insured separately, luckily. The head was fine, needs cleaning. I sold off my Porter Cable MK2 attachment to help fund the little rusnok. I will be using it for light stuff and switch back to the h-mill for heavier cutting. The little Burke is a stout machine. Here is how I packed the MK2 milling attachment before boxing it, and final installation of new head motor.

View attachment 288505

Tonset, any chance of sharing your replacement motor spec and dimensions of the new mounting plate?

Thanks.

Back