Issue with NMTB30 tooling I just bought.

strantor

Active User
Registered
Please see the attached picture. The tool on the right is a 1" endmill holder and it WORKS in my quill. The one on the left is an ER40 volley holder that I just ordered and received (i bought 2, only opened 1 yet). This DOES NOT WORK in my quill.

You will see the difference just south of the taper. There should be a "flange" about 1/8 thick created by a turned groove on the other side. Not sure if I'm being clear, sorry.

The new ER40 holder does not have this groove. South of the taper it just turns into the tool body.

My question is, is there any allowance for this? Can they really call this "NMTB30" if there is no groove on it? It looks to me like they missed a step in production but maybe not all NMTB30 are created alike and this one just happens to not work in mine. If it's defective I'm sending it back. If there is actually nothing wrong with what I bought, I need to decide how to go forward.

20180205_191515.jpg

I've highlighted the groove that should be present, in case I was not clear. I also uploaded a pic of the box so you know that this was actually purchased as NMTB30 and not some other 30 taper.

20180205_195220.jpg

20180205_191628.jpg

You talk about 30 and 40 tapers in the same breath; which is it???

You talk about 30 and 40 tapers in the same breath; which is it???
Negative Ben, I believe he mentions ER40.
I actually thought/saw the same, had to re-read it.

-- That ER40 holder doesn't look correct. Needs more clearance IMO.

Negative Ben, I believe he mentions ER40.
I actually thought/saw the same, had to re-read it.

-- That ER40 holder doesn't look correct. Needs more clearance IMO.
The machine spindle taper pictured is NMTB, The tool in question is an NMTB taper tool holder, the ER collet chuck is built into the holder just like a lathe collet chuck.

The original question is about the missing groove, I do not recall a tool changer feature being required in the NMTB design but I could easily be wrong. We have 4 mills that have Cat 40 spindles and zero with NMTB, however 3 of the 4 use different retention knobs, so much for standardization.

Back