It did say Planes in the forum title . . .

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Well why not. This is one of my projects. Its a plans built two seat Sonerai, powered with a stroked VW Type 1 (2287cc). And yes, it is full scale and I will fly it. Also have a Skylite ultralight in the hangar, undergoing a rebuild/refurb.

Tom
Sonerai 9-30-12 A.jpg

Sonerai 9-30-12 A.jpg

Very very cool! I had a customer back in WA who lived on a private strip and only had birds he built in his hangar. He took me up a few times, but I'll never forget the first. The fact that they were all built specifically for stunt flying wasn't completely evident to someone like me so I had no idea what that shiny piece of metal and boxer engine were about to subject me to. He was very proud to have made every conceivable pice himself (obviously ignoring things like displays etc). Will you be doing the same?

Wow, that is awesome. I would love to get involved with a build like that, but I have way too many interests/hobbies...

Thanks guys. I got the 7x10 lathe two years ago and did a few parts on it, including a prop hub spacer. I just got the HF mini mill because I hand made so many parts that would have taken a lot less time if I had a mill. Wish I'd had the mill long ago, because cutting the carbon fiber instrument and switch panels was not a lot of fun. The plane is very efficient, typically 140-150mph cruise and about 4.5 gallons of car gas per hour. It is also rated for sportsman class aerobatics. The engine uses a magneto and a Dyna electronic ingnition for redundancy, with two plugs per jug.

Here's a view from the pilot's seat (rear seat). You can see where the mill would have been nice to make the cutouts for instruments. Oh, and there will be a very lightweight gray trunk liner carpet inside the canopy skirt.

TomPilot's View 6-14-12.jpg

Pilot's View 6-14-12.jpg

Nice work!!!

I have a passion for airplanes and I have several scratch builds under my belt as well as a few re-builds including my latest, a "C" model Cessna 172 that I did in 2009 that was a complete nosecone to tail restore with new engine, interior, prop, paint, controls, etc, etc. I currently have a 1946 Piper PA-14 in the works but have had to put it on the back burner due to work demands!

I'll try and post some build pictures if I can retrieve them as they are on my old laptop that recently conked out.

Thanks Ray. Always interested in other's builds and refurbs. Did my PPL training mostly in an old 172, and I am still fond of that old bird, Johnson bar flaps and all. Refurbed a '46 415CD Ercoupe, then jumped straight into a Cinquanta Hornet bipe, with no tailwheel training available. Good times. Here's a pic of the Hornet right after I painted it:

TomCinquanta Bipe N13H.jpg

Cinquanta Bipe N13H.jpg

Well, some people call them airplanes...

162F_N1955Z.jpg

My Rotorway 162F helicopter. Bought the kit in 1998, first flew it June 2001, been flying it ever since.

162F_N1955Z.jpg

Back