It did say Planes in the forum title . . .

I have to say, all of you guys have an awesome hobby...

N3480h, you mentioned that you were running a VW type engine. Was your engine a car engine that you stroked and made provisions for two plugs per cylinder? Or, is this a purpose built aircraft engine that is a boxer?
Thanks

Brandon, the engine is based on a Type 1 VW, but no part of it has ever been automotive. I built it with 92mm jugs and an 86mm stroker crank, for a displacement of 2287cc. Case is line bored and it has a completely different 4th bearing which is very large. Arp lightweight racing rods, and an SU HS4 carb. Heads have been modified for two plugs and it utilizes a magneto and a Dyna 5 electronic ignition for redundancy. Hope to see 85-90hp from it at 3600 RPM. The accessory case caries a 20 amp alternator, the mag, and a starter. Weight is 160 pounds dry. Properly built and maintained, most are going 1500 hours before rebuild.

Tom

Beautiful Rans, Flip. I hear they are a joy to fly.

Tom

Thanks Tom. It is the best compromise I have found for comfort, safety, utility (speed and short field access), cost (upfront, maint. and fuel), and looks. Plus I no longer get a medical every other year with sport pilot regs.

I can see why flying a Sonerai would be fun! That is a much more lively creature.

This one I built in 2010

We have enough snow now in Minnesota!

JHA_4810.jpg JHA_4914.jpg JHA_4792.jpg

This is a picture of the project currently in my garage. I hope to fly this Bearhawk aircraft this summer.
P1010365.JPG

P1010365.JPG

Wow, lots of fliers here! I owned and flew a 1941 Taylorcraft for some years, then disassembled and srored it for about 10 years awaiting restoration. Finally realized I wasn't going to restore it as the process just didn't hold my interest... I like building original designs, working out the details; an airplane restoration doesn't leave much room for improvisation. So I sold it, bought a powered paraglider, then designed and built another powered paraglider (with a converted Kawasaki drtbike engine). Still have the PPGs, but mostly fly a Kolb Ultrastar that I bought used. Currently working on a design for an aerobatic ultralight biplane, though actual construction is a few years off.

Well, some people call them airplanes...

What's the saying about helicopters... A series of parts flinging about in an attempt to rip themselves apart? Or something like that. :D

I'm still an apprentice AME (A&P in the states?), since I gave it up about 15 years ago.
Still gained a huge stack of knowledge from it (including discovering an industry I don't want to work in! Ha!).
Will stick to flying them - not working on them for a living.

Well, this is my 1960 C-310F. Fast and nervous, but I love it. I cruise in it at 180 knots indicated air speed, seldom reaching over 216 Knots Ground Speed. I m now working on it, will soon fly again....by the way, Im looking for hartzells blades for it.

image.jpg

Back