It Is Not Specifically Listed But Hey It Is Another Hobby Of Mine

Richard White (richardsrelics)

Registered
Registered
Rockets seem a bit out on a limb, so i figured this would be alright...
I am a toolmaker by trade but I repair and restore antique outboards. What most call antiques are quite new compared to what I personally like to find. I do well restoring vintage 50's outboards for those that recall them from their childhood, here are a few examples:

First is a 1956 Johnson 5.5 hp motor: Before:
Image001.jpg

And after:
IMG_0838.JPG

Next is a 1956 mercury MK25E electric start again, Before:
Image002pre.jpg

And after:

IMG_0445.JPG

Sorry bout the greasy fingerprints on the upper green parts, and by
the way they both run as good as they look :)

Nice. About 15 years ago I was running a 1956 Johnson 50hp on a 14ft boat.

Kd4gij, You are off on your years a bit ,,LOL I am president of our local chapter of the AOMCI, 50 hp Johnson first introduced in 1958... called a Fat 50, gas hogs but decent motors..
Here I am 10 years ago, working on my baby, 1914 Evinrude Rowboat motor, yes it is now 102 years old, and purrs like a kitten. Being a Toolmaker has its advantages, I made new upper and lower crank case bushings, machined ne prop shaft, drives haft, new gear set, new thrust screw to set gear lash in gear case, and rebuilt the water pump. Here is a photo of me doing that:
SSPX0237.jpg

Here is my baby, video taken 2 years ago, on a local lake... give the video a chance to load if it is choppy just pause it till it loads, I have since change to a proper battery ignition flywheel. Yeah that motor in the video was 100 years old when the video was taken...crazy huh???

Here is the link to the video, you can check out all the other crap I have here as well.

Enjoy :)

http://vid306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/tallcar84/20140727_111928.mp4

Kd4gij, You are off on your years a bit ,,LOL I am president of our local chapter of the AOMCI, 50 hp Johnson first introduced in 1958... called a Fat 50, gas hogs but decent motors..
Here I am 10 years ago, working on my baby, 1914 Evinrude Rowboat motor, yes it is now 102 years old, and purrs like a kitten. Being a Toolmaker has its advantages, I made new upper and lower crank case bushings, machined ne prop shaft, drives haft, new gear set, new thrust screw to set gear lash in gear case, and rebuilt the water pump. Here is a photo of me doing that:
View attachment 124031

Come to think of it, it might of been a 30 or 35hp. Cant remember that far back other then the year 56 was the year I was hatched.

There was an old guy down in Bradenton or Sarasota that dealt in old outboards that I bought some parts from and he winded up buying that motor and a real old sears kicker I had.

Last edited:
Super cool and you do a great job of it. Too bad a lot of the lakes are banning 2 strokes. Lighter, more powerful and they sound better.

No bans around here....far easier to work on, well the older ones are, today's motors are full of bloated tech that serves little purpose but to add cost. Meaning they have taken the home mechanic out of the equation, by requiring tens of thousands of dollars in "special" equipment to diagnose any problems. Forces most to go to a Marina which charges stupid amount of money to merely swap parts out instead of diagnosing the true problem.
That is my personal opinion...With the new biodegradable 2 stroke oil and synthetics, you can run with virtually no oil left in the water.
Problem is what most people see is an actual fuel leak, from a bad connector and think it is dumping fuel out...

Back