It is the best of times, it is the worst of times...

Oh trust me, I know the web site needs help. Big help. One thing when comparing to Grizzly though, any photos that you see on our site are NOT edited. You can't see anything they have close up, because the pics are all completely edited for a web site.
I have met with at least 10 web designers, and end up in the same boat every time. No one can do anything near what I think looks good at all. I am not a web designer, I am a machine guy. I just met with another person today about doing a site, who sounds promising again, but we will see. Always the same story!

There are all these web sites out there, and I can never find anyone to make one that I like. And its not like I am offering them $2500 to do it, the last one quoted $15,000, and still I thought what they were doing was horrible.

There should be reviews on that machine though, there are a lot of them out there. Give me a call if you have any questions about it too. I know all of the machines very well, inside and out.

Personally, I like your website... albeit I would like more pictures, information, and a few videos on each machine. Just an expanded page.
A few of your machines (the 1340GT comes to mind) have a link to a downloadable PDF... seems it would be easy to keep that up to date.
The more information one can see online, the more comfortable they probably are gonna be pulling out that CC... :)

Keeping a website up to date is a taxing job... it is a lot easier if there is a geek on staff... or at least someone who can do it as a sideline.

Personally, I like your website... albeit I would like more pictures, information, and a few videos on each machine. Just an expanded page.
A few of your machines (the 1340GT comes to mind) have a link to a downloadable PDF... seems it would be easy to keep that up to date.
The more information one can see online, the more comfortable they probably are gonna be pulling out that CC... :)

Keeping a website up to date is a taxing job... it is a lot easier if there is a geek on staff... or at least someone who can do it as a sideline.

Nailed it.

Matt, you don't need to slicken things up with java and flash and all that other high maintenance...all show, no-go fluff. It just slows things down in my opinion. Just give me reasonable content for a $5000 purchase. I understand you're a busy man. Hand the neighbor kid a decent camera and a hundred bucks or two and tell him/her to have at it. Thumbnails that open up into detailed pictures of the areas YOU would want to look over if you were buying it for yourself would be a terrific start.

Take that PM1440E-LB. I want to see how robust the stand is. I want to see the carriage and handwheels. The gear controls. I want an image of the spindle, motor, and pulley setup. Show me a close up of the steady, follow, tail stock and chucks. It took me a long time to scrape up five grand. If I'm going to consider buying one I want to see what I'm going to be getting.

The G4003G has considerably more content out there for a customer to review, but not necessarily coming from the Grizzly Industrial website. Rather, from the larger number of users that shared their experiences and photos online. You could readily address at least half of that difference yourself.

Last edited:
You would do folks like myself a HUGE FAVOR if you could help rectify that some by taking a few minutes with a cell phone camera to take some high resolution pictures of the bells and whistles of your pride and joy once it is up and running.

Will do, in fact I will even break out the Rebel so you can really zoom in. FWIW I found a few more pics on the quality machine tools ebay listing for this lathe that might get you started.

Nailed it.

Matt, you don't need to slicken things up with java and flash and all that other high maintenance...all show, no-go fluff. It just slows things down in my opinion. Just give me reasonable content for a $5000 purchase. I understand you're a busy man. Hand the neighbor kid a decent camera and a hundred bucks or two and tell him/her to have at it. Thumbnails that open up into detailed pictures of the areas YOU would want to look over if you were buying it for yourself would be a terrific start.

Take that PM1440E-LB. I want to see how robust the stand is. I want to see the carriage and handwheels. The gear controls. I want an image of the spindle, motor, and pulley setup. Show me a close up of the steady, follow, tail stock and chucks. It took me a long time to scrape up five grand. If I'm going to consider buying one I want to see what I'm going to be getting.

The G4003G has considerably more content out there for a customer to review, but not necessarily coming from the Grizzly Industrial website. Rather, from the larger number of users that shared their experiences and photos online. You could readily address at least half of that difference yourself.

Indeed!

IMO this idea folks need a fancy website with lots of animation... well that is how one sells fashion to folks who are interested in fashion...
Hmmm... I wonder how many 'designer lathes' are out there... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

The part underlined, about getting the neighbors kid and paying him cash to go at it (on a Saturday when there is minimal chance of him getting hurt because of regular activity at the shop), would go a HUGE distance towards the information us hobby enthusiasts want on the website. :allgood:

Oh, and if the website and Ebay site were kept current (and current with each other)... I know I would appreciate that.

What he said. Provide lots of high-resolution still photos that can be expanded to full screen. Videos are ok but good photos are more important. Detailed design drawings would also be nice. Javascript and Flash are just irritations.

Actually, the sales page for the PM1340GT is pretty darn good.

Yes, it is, except for all the text in the lower right being folded over on my screen.

Yes, it is, except for all the text in the lower right being folded over on my screen.

Yeah... some pages seem to load better than others...

The page for the 1236 Lathe, when I load it, has some of the text for the accessories overlaid on top of one picture at the bottom, while under another.
Yet the page for the 1340GT comes out correct... Go figure.

BTW: I like the page for the 1340GT also... lots of good pics at the bottom, lots of information, and the attached PDF is helpful!

Back