It Just Keeps Coming....

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My brother just called me, it’s rarely a good sign, usually it’s because some family member is in the hospital or just passed away. We’re in family related contact almost daily, through my wife’s Facebook participation, but he rarely use the phone to call me. Well it was bad news of a sort, no one is ill or died, but still, my life has been thrown into a swirling mass.

Growing up, my father was a very successful businessman, running a coal/oil business, trucking firm, gas stations, furniture stores, liquor stores and apartment buildings, he suddenly died when I was 5 yrs old. My mother was never left wanting, over the yrs, the businesses were sold off one at a times, by the time I left high school, it was all gone, except for the very large 4 story warehouse. This morning, my brother, successfully ended negotiations to sell the warehouse and property to a developer, so I have roughly 90 days to empty out my part of what’s left of the warehouse inventory.

I have 2 lathes, 3 milling machines, drill presses, a gaggle of surface grinders (one functional, 4 or 5 for spare parts), canoes, a pop-up tent camper, multiple cars, pickup truck, engines, transmissions, hand tools, chainsaws, etc, etc, etc. all of this stuff now have to find new homes. Some of this stuff, I have not seen or touched in many years. I will have to call about a scrap dumpster in the morning and see if I can find some new storage arrangements for a few of the pieces I want to keep. The vast majority of the stuff has little or no real value to me, it was I was either too lazy or lacked serious motivation to throw it away or get rid of it.

Apparently, I’m basically the last to know, everyone else, who had/has stuff in the warehouse, has either removed it or has already started to clean it out. My brother, unsure the sale was going through, didn’t want to bother me with the minor details until the sale was actually agreed on.

A couple of items, I intend to sell and have prospective buyers for, are a couple of complete 50s era Gilbarco gas pumps, a few Flying A gas station signs and a couple of cigar store Indians. The only bad part of the sale is, I traded any financial interest in the warehouse away for some land and a camp in the Adirondack Mt, years ago, but stored stuff for free for years, now it’s going to cost me.

Boo! That's terrible news, too.

joe

Look at the bright side, you were going to have to do it anyway so now you can't procrastinate any longer. Resist the urge to just stuff everything into another storage, it's not a good plan.

Ask me how I know....

John

Not good news to hear . Where is camp in the Adirondacks ? :)

For all the stuff that you don't want try contacting a local auction company. You won't get much but you also won't have to move it and it will all be gone within a day or two of the auction. Your junk is somebody else's treasure. It is incredible what people will buy.

2 lathes, 3 milling machines, drill presses, a gaggle of surface grinders (one functional, 4 or 5 for spare parts), canoes, a pop-up tent camper, multiple cars, pickup truck, engines, transmissions, hand tools, chainsaws, etc, etc, etc.
If you still have a little lead time, I would imagine you could net a fair amount of cash by bringing an auction company.

If you have less time, you could probably still make a deal with a 'clean-out' company. They'll pay less but likely they can remove everything in short order.

Craig

I’ve been involved with 3 auctions in my lifetime, I’ll never do another, I’d have a pit dug and bury everything before, I’d endure another auction. But that isn’t going to happen. I made a phone call at 8:30 this morning, the cars, trailer, truck and auto parts are already spoken for, I sent emails out for the gas station stuff and the cigar store Indians. I hear some nieces and nephews and their kids, want/are interested in the bikes and boats and canoes (they have until next Sunday to take it, or the scrapper takes it). I will continue to make calls to get rid of some of the other stuff.

I do have to find storage for the lathes, milling machines and some of the other stuff, at least long enough to see if I actually have a long term need for them. I’m going from 20,000 to 30,000 sqft (didn’t use all of it, but had it) down to I believe the minimum requirement of about 1200 sqft of storage space.

The cars and misc automotive stuff (plus whatever else he wants/takes) is suppose to be gone by next weekend or two, I gave the stuff away for free, but told the guy, it $100/day if it not all gone by 7/3/20, he will have a key to get in before noon today. He does not get the vehicle titles, until it’s all gone.

I’m in the middle of some minor back issues, 1973 auto accident related, so I’ve been up workIng on this since about 3 am, this morning. So a couple of phone calls, numerous emails, so at least I feel like I’ve started.

Pole barn at the camp? Shipping containers?

Talked to my brother, the sale is now official, they sign paperwork this morning, now its in the lawyers and courts hands.

The storage issue, may be settled already, I found out the developer, is my nephew’s FIL (my other brother’s son) and his brother, they want possession ASAP, legally we (I) have 90 days, they are hoping for a much quicker turnover. I made a offer and we shall see where it goes. I offered, to be out no later than July 30th, if they gave me 2 shipping containers, at the back of the site, rent free until 6/30/21. That would give me more time, it would be a lot of paring down, but is probably workable. The nephew’s FIL seemed to be willing, but the brother was hesitant. The only leverage I have is the 90 days, so we shall see. This would allow them to start their project this year, in the good weather.

I negotiated a similar deal when I sold my shop, I could store stuff in a 53' storage trailer on the property for some time. If I remember correctly the trailer was only about $1800 and I bought it long before I sold the property.

John

Back