[4]

It works!

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I had two aluminum blanks lying around so I chucked them up, faced and turned them.
This represents my true entry into the rabbit hole!

They may become two rollers for a 2x72” belt grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

higgite

Professional Crastinator
Hello, my name is Tom and I’m a hobby machinist. I’m not an addict because I can quit any time I want to. I’ve done it hundreds of times.

My problem is that watching chips fly and metal mysteriously become skinnier is like staring at a campfire. No reason to do it, it’s just mesmerizing and somehow satisfying. Have I mentioned that I’m not addicted to it?

Welcome to the addic hobby, David. Good job on the cylinder.

Tom

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Dial indicators and Micrometers are “gateway” tools..... I’m a full on addict, and I own that! I have walked the 12 step recovery pathway and I have stumbled. But I am strong, and even though I stumble, I know that I am amongst others who fight along side me....... I won’t suffer in silence, but I simply don’t want to live in a world without metrology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmcmdl

Staff member
My problem is that watching chips fly and metal mysteriously become skinnier is like staring at a campfire. No reason to do it, it’s just mesmerizing and somehow satisfying.
I'd choose the campfire every time , :drool: although turning a nice piece of barstock into worthless chips is quite amusing at times . :oops:

DavidR8

The addiction is taking hold.
I drool after milling machines and 12x lathes. I admit to caressing a Miller TIG whilst buying my metrology tools.
In my disaster of a shop I eye every cylindrical object to see if it will fit into the chuck.
Let there be chips!

Glad to be amongst fellow addicts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttabbal

Bronze
Registered
Turning perfectly good metal into chips is far more fun that it has any right to be.

Making somewhat useful things is also addictive. I think half of us make tools just to have an excuse.

Measuring those things also gets interesting... :) I had to do some fast talking to myself. I really didn't have space for a huge surface plate/table or a way to move it... I almost ended up owning it anyway...

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Turning perfectly good metal into chips is far more fun that it has any right to be.

Making somewhat useful things is also addictive. I think half of us make tools just to have an excuse.

Measuring those things also gets interesting... :) I had to do some fast talking to myself. I really didn't have space for a huge surface plate/table or a way to move it... I almost ended up owning it anyway...
I wasn’t that lucky..... I managed to lower a 450 pound Starrett 36x24x4 down 11 townhouse stairs to my basement shop, constructed a gantry crane and moved it into position...... and what’s worse is that I involved an innocent friend..... it’s one thing to cast yourself into the abyss, but it’s almost unspeakable to involve some unsuspecting innocent friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tweinke

Active User
Welcome aboard the crazy train, you are just starting an amazing ride! be careful though with being lured to the dark side of metrology. Darn interesting topic but if you convince yourself you can do it on the cheap you will be able to see the results or lack of very quickly. :cower: By all means enjoy yourself, ask questions, make projects and grow your skills. One note to the wise for you, never ask on here what machine to buy because we will all have you blow your budget out of the water because you know addicts need to lure new blood into their addiction.:cpa: Enjoy our new found hobby and the skills you will learn and please take us along for the ride too! :encourage:

higgite

Professional Crastinator
....... One note to the wise for you, never ask on here what machine to buy because we will all have you blow your budget out of the water because you know addicts need to lure new blood into their addiction.......
I don't know about you, but I LOVE spending other people's money! :)

Tom

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
it gets to be a chronic condition when you look at CL before you goto work, you read tool catalogs for lunch and (surf)hunt ebay at night.

i have predictions for you my new friend,
tools do fornicate and soon will fill your garage
your neighbors will soon outstretch arms filled with broken devises for repair, they will cheer your arrival home
you will spend untold thousands on machines, tooling, measuring devises, and associated accouterments
you will curse and rejoice, sometimes only seconds apart and in differing order
you'll make things you and others dream about, but the difference will be that you actually made the things of dreams

bucker' up, you are in for a ride! :grin:

mikey

Active User
Dave, don't believe these guys. You can be a hobby machinist without buying every tool in sight or accumulating multiple machine tools. They make it seem like this deplorable tool addiction is inevitable but it just ain't so.

You believe me, right?

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Dave, don't believe these guys. You can be a hobby machinist without buying every tool in sight or accumulating multiple machine tools. They make it seem like this deplorable tool addiction is inevitable but it just ain't so.

You believe me, right?
Don't listen to this one he doesn't love you the way your lathe does.....

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Does this discussion somehow have any similarities to those (cringe ..shudder) "groups, usually arranged in a circle that "give support" to confessional incumbents who are still partly in denial about some off-the wall obsession addiction?

Are we really at a stage where we are now nearly prone to the persuasions of an astute opportunist provider of rehab facilities? Er.. "The Betty Ford-style Clinic for Machine Tool Addiction Victims"? Noooooooo!

He can't feel OK until he gets a whiff of marking fluid? OMG - that guy keeps sniffing the aroma of over-deep cut blue-hot curly chips. He just can't stop!

What about that fella in the corner who never moves around much except to keep scraping away at the same corner of a big piece of cast iron?

Oh Boy! Just by having gravitated here, are we already in some kind of trouble?

[5] [7]