It works!

Dave, don't believe these guys. You can be a hobby machinist without buying every tool in sight or accumulating multiple machine tools. They make it seem like this deplorable tool addiction is inevitable but it just ain't so.

You believe me, right?
Somehow - I just cannot bring myself to (believe). I already know that neither do you! Or - you just keep telling yourself that! :)

Alright..... I’m just going to say it..... I can’t live this lie any longer. I’ve always known I guess.... the signs were there. I’ve been a closet Apprentice Machinist my entire life, but I’ve really only admitted it to myself in the last few years..... I love tools and I don’t care who knows! WOW...... I feel so free. Now I need to find a good machine shop auction (like the ones Mr. Pete attends).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xxxx
.... What about that fella in the corner who never moves around much except to keep scraping away at the same corner of a big piece of cast iron?
Well, harrumph, you don't hafta get personal about it.

...... Oh Boy! Just by having gravitated here, are we already in some kind of trouble?
Not me. I don't need no stinkin' therapy. Nor do any of the other voices in my head.

Tom

This always makes me think of the end of The Jerk

All I need is a lathe, that is it, oh and a mill and that's it. I need a bench grinder, a lathe, a mill and a bench grinder, oh and that shaper, a lathe, a mill, a bench grinder and a shaper, and this surface grinder and the drill press and that's it. I don't need anything else, I need that... :grin:

Somehow - I just cannot bring myself to (believe). I already know that neither do you! Or - you just keep telling yourself that! :)

Ah, that is where you would be wrong, Sir. I am not a Tool-A-Holic like these other hobby type guys. I am Curious!

Take lathe chucks for example. My Emco Super 11 came with a Rohm-made cast steel 3 jaw chuck and a similarly made 4 jaw independent. In my research, I heard that Rohm also made a forged steel version of these chucks for Emco so I set about finding them, just to satisfy my curiosity about it, you see. It turned out that these forged chucks are indeed different in quality and construction. Then I kept seeing guys say that set tru chucks were the very best so I bought a Yuasa 3 jaw set tru to find out if they were right and they were, sorta'. Then @wrmiller said that only a 6 jaw Pratt Burnerd setrite could possibly be the world's best chuck so I had to find out, right? Then I set out to find a Yuasa magnetic chuck and an accurate ER-40 chuck and finally, finally, my curiosity was sated. Now I know that if a work piece that is within the work envelope of my lathe cannot be held with the chucks I have then it just cannot be held!

So you see, I acquire tools merely because I am curious. To say that I am addicted would not be true! ;)

Yep. After over a year, all I've ever done is work on the machines themselves and buy even more tooling

Now this made me laugh.
In a previous life, my former once asked me if I was ever going to actually make anything with my all my tools or was I just going to make shop stuff.

My response was succinct. “I think the three fully gutted and renovated bathrooms, new kitchen and all new hardwood floors count as using my tools to make something other than shop stuff.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back