It’s been a year in the new garage/shop

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hey all,
This forum gives us an outlet to discuss our shops with like minded people. Very few of my friends would appreciate this topic.
After the fire, my wife and I were living in an apartment for a short few months. We bought this home and immediately started to make it our own.
The garage received insulation and lighting before any equipment was brought in. The mini-split came next.
Bob Korves and Jim George helped me bring in my lathe, mill and surface grinder.
I thought I had a good lay out but There were a few areas that were tight and not useable.
After several months I started thinking, what if?
Yesterday I moved the lathe 90 degrees and moved the surface grinder and mill to allow more space.
Now I have full access to my 5 X 5 welding/utility table. I have aisles to the driveway For access. I have an open work space near the grinder and welding table. I walk out to my shop and can’t believe I’m in the same space with all this equipment.
I have included before and after pics. Not in order. I had the lathe next to the garage door which mostly blocked access to the shop. Not any more!!
My wife and I are trying to decide if we should move when I retire. I really don’t want to start over. I don’t know if I have the energy.

Attachments

• 0FA75892-9349-4DDF-9FF5-FD12119F87A5.jpeg
    0FA75892-9349-4DDF-9FF5-FD12119F87A5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 200
  • 6A616CD8-BED1-46BE-B0FA-B954F519F318.jpeg
    6A616CD8-BED1-46BE-B0FA-B954F519F318.jpeg
    842.2 KB · Views: 201
  • C3F3F8D9-8FC3-4A9A-A50D-FDE5394490E2.jpeg
    C3F3F8D9-8FC3-4A9A-A50D-FDE5394490E2.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 198
  • AF48A62B-1765-4396-B317-84502A5E7562.jpeg
    AF48A62B-1765-4396-B317-84502A5E7562.jpeg
    907 KB · Views: 193
  • 4C4A1788-7090-41EA-8D73-545473C06FE4.jpeg
    4C4A1788-7090-41EA-8D73-545473C06FE4.jpeg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 193
I am trying to figure out my lay out now. Talking with the electrician on how to run the wiring. I am taking into account I need to be able to roll a gantry crane over my machines to load heavy stock and remove large chucks and such.

Looks amazing for all that you’ve been through and what it took to get you there. Great job layout looks good. You have some nice equipment there!

That looks fantastic!
Like a Phoenix rising from the flames right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the new layout better. Looks good. Nice equipment. Just me, but I would have though you would get a lot of glare when working on the lathe with the garage door open with the old setup. But maybe with the A/C you don't need or like to have it open? I'm way more cramped and can't hardly stand to work in the garage with the door closed.

Hey all,
This forum gives us an outlet to discuss our shops with like minded people. Very few of my friends would appreciate this topic.
After the fire, my wife and I were living in an apartment for a short few months. We bought this home and immediately started to make it our own.
The garage received insulation and lighting before any equipment was brought in. The mini-split came next.
Bob Korves and Jim George helped me bring in my lathe, mill and surface grinder.
I thought I had a good lay out but There were a few areas that were tight and not useable.
After several months I started thinking, what if?
Yesterday I moved the lathe 90 degrees and moved the surface grinder and mill to allow more space.
Now I have full access to my 5 X 5 welding/utility table. I have aisles to the driveway For access. I have an open work space near the grinder and welding table. I walk out to my shop and can’t believe I’m in the same space with all this equipment.
I have included before and after pics. Not in order. I had the lathe next to the garage door which mostly blocked access to the shop. Not any more!!
My wife and I are trying to decide if we should move when I retire. I really don’t want to start over. I don’t know if I have the energy.
Has it been a year already?
I spy - some BA combination wrenches hanging by the garage door - was wondering if those were rescued from the fire?

""My wife and I are trying to decide if we should move when I retire. I really don’t want to start over. I don’t know if I have the energy.""
Isn't that the truth?
I can't imagine how you two got through having to deal with the aftermath of the fire and finding a new place and setting up home & shop.

After helping some friends last week, get their place cleared out after their house finally sold and the buyers wanted a quick closing, my tail was dragging.
I'm not sure I'd have the stamina or the energy to pack this place all up and relocate.

Looking back at 2019 it was a blur. I wouldn’t want to do it again.
Quite a bit of the tools and machine tools were used and yes, the hanging wrenches were salvaged.
I haven’t shown what a great job my wife did of furnishing our home. We redid the landscaping in addition to everything else. We put a new roof on the home after we moved in.
It seemed an endless stream of, “some assembly required “, and taking boxes to the cardboard only dumpster.
We were very fortunate, it’s hard to complain when you are one of 14,000 homes and families that were lost and displaced.
Obviously our insurance company took good care of us. We were able to relocate and rebuild our lives without going into debt.

It hasn’t rained in two months here in Northern California. We are coming off two of the heaviest rain years and now this.
I fear it’s going to be another bad year for fire.
.If anyone knows a good rain dance, please.

I will send you all our rain. It has been horrible. Stays a constant soggy mess.

Back