It’s been a year in the new garage/shop

We're in the same boat with Jeeper , way to much rain . I would prefer snow over the rain . :)

squish, squish, squish. <- The sound one makes when walking through the yard around here & up by Tom's.
Honey just took the dogs up the hill for a run. Neighbor next to us is the low spot with a large pond on the other side.
Guess where the mutts headed to? They are sopped.

Very nice looking shop with a great layout and fine tools:)

I have good friends who lost everything when the fires came through Sonoma, I had just helped him clean and organize everything but the only thing to survive were an old pickup and my race trailer that was stored there.

Regarding layout, I've found that the only was is to make your best guess then adjust as needed after you lived with it for a while.

As for moving after retirement, why? Just get yourself an RV and visit any place you want....

Cheers,

John

John,
You said it. Move in and work it out as you go.
You mentioned an RV. Our 2016 Lance travel trailer is parked at our property now. It was the only thing that came out unscathed.
The pics, the trailer after the fire with the fire resistant cover, my 2002 F-150 and my shop. There is a 2012 Hyundai in my shop too.trailer.JPGtruck.JPGshop.JPG

What is it with trailers?

Stuff can be replaced (mostly), people not so much. I'm glad you made it through and are thriving in your new space, too many others weren't as lucky:(

Here's a few pics of my friends place.

shopbefore.jpeg

shopafter.jpeg

yet somehow my trailer survived....

trailer.jpeg

My heart goes out to everyone that has suffered through the fires.
I have only tangential experience with fires as my province has suffered from devastating fires for several years running. If I recall correctly several million hectares burned in 2018.

I’d gladly sent you some Grade A Vancouver Island rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man.
What a terrible loss. There is no way your friend will recover financially from the investment he had in his shop.
I saw a burnt Model A on a two post hoist in the ruins of a home shop. Broke my heart.
That reminds me, I was suppose to call and up our contents coverage. Look at the money you guys have in your shops. Unless you have a supplement to your standard fire insurance you will only receive your content coverage limit if you are lucky.
You settle with your insurance, there is dwelling A, dwelling B, extended living and content coverage. If anybody want s to ask me questions please PM me.
In our case, we had to take $130,000 from our content money to buy the house. (There was such a high demand on houses after the fire, the prices went up 20% plus). That left our content replacement funds short by that amount. We did OK considering all my tools and machines were purchased with what was left in our content coverage.
Is that clear as mud?

Clear as it can be when dealing with insurance companies.
Not right that 'price gouging' didn't cover real estate after a disaster, like it does in regards to retail products.

Clear as it can be when dealing with insurance companies.
Not right that 'price gouging' didn't cover real estate after a disaster, like it does in regards to retail products.
Some companies offer a policy that includes market conditions in the case of a hurricane or wild fires.
They also include rebuilding an older home that includes all the expensive upgrades to insulation and new codes-taxes etc. In our case, we are not rebuilding on our property. It will just sit there for a while.

Back