It's Hammertime......

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
I needed a body hammer so made several. The large one was made as a weldment. The bottom part of it was some hard truck axle material and
the skinny bent part was made from the body of an old broken reamer. The smaller hammers were made from 1018 steel rod. The handles for the
smaller hammers were fashioned from some junk laying around the shop and the handle for the bigger I think may have been a chair leg in it's
previous life. The hammer handle holes were made by drilling and milling with the far end gaped a little to make sure the handle would stay well
affixed.

These will be handy for body straightening or metal forming work in soft aluminum.

I'm sure you know, but just mentioning that that broken reamer should be heat treated (appropriately drawn) for that application.

I'm sure you know, but just mentioning that that broken reamer should be heat treated (appropriately drawn) for that application.

Thanks for posting. I had to heat the post red to bend it and it didn't want to bend without a lot of heat. I quenched the hammer head in
a snow bank and reheated it. It ended up straw colored on the end as it cooled. Hopefully it will serve me well.

Today I was able to use the new hammers to disassemble some old dually semi truck chains. In the photo I have
worked the hooks loose from the right chain and the cross chains will be flopped over to the left side to make a set
to fit on the Bobcat skid loader. The skid loader is pretty useless without chains in the deep snow we have presently.
The tapered point on the smaller hammer spread the hooks to remove the cross links for the most part. The cold
chisel helped with several that were not cooperating. It is still below zero this morning to I wore a snowmobile suit
while I hammered the chains into submission in the snowy driveway. My front set cost almost $200 so this free
set will be appreciated. The next step will be to hammer down the cross straps and finally fitment on the tires.
The cross chains attached every other link on the edge chains will make for excellent traction.

Nice work !!!!!
i like making tools, simply because i get to use other tools to other make tools :grin:

just a BTW
in my book, you get an extra couple punches on your man card by reusing/re-purposing other materials too :cool:

I did commercial snow removal for 11 yrs and did more than my share of chain building. 19.5 x 24 backhoe tires, 3/8" side chains, with double the normal number of cross chains. Did quite a few your way then bought one of these. Made things a lot easier, but probably not worth it for occasional use. nice job on the hammers. Mike

"It is still below zero this morning..."
That adds a whole new level of meaning to the term "cold" chisel!

"It is still below zero this morning..."
That adds a whole new level of meaning to the term "cold" chisel!

It's March and the snow is usually diminishing this time of year and I can cook outside and sit at the picnic table.

Not this year I guess......289313

The title brought me here. "Hammertime" As my sig may indicate, I have a fondness.......
I have "fixed" so many things with a surge press, or a Knockrometer, or a bfh, or a GBFH......
Any new use or style has my complete attention.:big grin:

Back