IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!!!! (New miil Precision Matthews PM-833t)

Last night I put back the machine together.
First order, fix the chip pan on the base I built. then drill the holes trough the pan and the base frame to bolt the new mill base. I used 5/16 threaded stainless steel rod as I need about 7" to get everything bolted together.
I placed the base near the wall, got it at a first approximate level ( final levelling wil be done when I tram the machine)
Then with the 'girafe' (this is how we call a motor hoist here) I lifted the base and table onto the frame, aligned the bolts and put it together.
Wnt smoothly...
Then I lift the pilar and it would'nt clear the table by about 1/8" ! Gnnnnn!
OK Luc, you are a creative guy... I tucked a few pieces of 2X4 where the sling was in contact with the pilar, lifted the jack and... YESSSS! it clears by about 1/16"....
So I delicately push the whole thing over the table and... hit the wall! The #$%?&?#@@#$ hook on the hoist is to close to the wall!
So I had to get the pillar down again, move the base with the table away from the wall using a crow bar (i painted the concrete floor Sunday night!)
Then lift the pilar again and finally install it on the base! 4 bolts.... OK, Nice!
Now the head! .... This is the least heavy part of the machine... but it is still probably 200lbs!
I had to be clever on this one.
First I made a 'U' out of some 2X6 lumber so I can lift the head and have it stand upright without having any weight on the spindle. This went easy. Then I had to lift it in a vertical position and align it with the receptacle on the mill pilar where I have to align 3 bolts at 90/180/270°
Seems quite complicated but actually it went rather easy.... The trick was to get the head near the block as close as possible, an then engage the bolts one by one. It is awfully crooked, but it's in place!
OK now, the whole thing is back together, but about 1 feet away from the wall where I want it.
This shouldn't be a big problem hmmm?
So I chainned the whole thing now, machine and baseframe, (about 1000lbs) to the girafe and proceded to lift it and push it where I want it...
Not so fast Luc!
Stupid thing is ilting heavily at the back, so I huff... and pufff... and blowowowowowow the thing at the back and lower the crane! Using a crow bar on the floor I painted the night before!!!
This is where she is going to live from now on!!
Unfortunately i managed to scratch the paint quite a bit at the rear of the pilar. Nobody can see it... it's only cosmetic, also on the chip pan. but... I find this machine quite nice, it is evident that a lot of care was taken in assembling it by crafstmen, so I found a place where if I bring a sample, they can make me a can of paint the exact same colour of the original paint. It cost a few bucks, but I am inclined, by respect, to repair the finish to its original condition.
The machine will be left in this state for a few weeks as I have other priorities for the time being.
I am getting the DRO kit tomorrow.
I still have to run a cable to the house electric panel so I can get 240V delivered for this machine
Last week of February we are going to see my daughter and her husband, and baby Thomas for a week in the Cayman Islands!
I guess this will be the last post on this thread, of course if anyone comments, I will follow closely!
Sincerely to all, Luc

Back