It's my birthday and can't decide what to get

I don't know about everything. I have some friends where the wife controls the purse strings. She tells her husband that he can buy anything that he wants to but he can't buy everything. No wife here to keep me inline. Just 3 persona's. Me, myself and I that constantly argue back and forth about everything.

I must be lucky, my wife does not count my tools and I do not count her shoes.

Anyways mickri you have us, none of us pout but we will keep you in line somehow.

So for now Happy Birthday!

do you have what it takes to tram in the vise?

What Mikey said , + I bought this Palmgren swivel tilting 6” vice off CL $ 200. I used cigarette paper to check that jaws closed properly the length of them it is in good shape and my Kurt soft jaws fit it .
Now to find a way to get it up on the table easily o_O

662ED1E5-78C1-4C11-9503-7603E18B462C.jpeg
I took off the swivel base until needed for ridgidity.
This one would hang off your table quite a bit .

Would like to thank everybody for their advice and suggestions. I have also spent a lot of time reading a lot of the vise threads on the forum. And I have come to a decision. I am going to get a 4" machinists vise with a swivel base. Deciding between either the Grizz vise or the Precision Mathews vise that I posted above. I know that I will not use the swivel base much if at all but lots of folks on here said it was handy to have when you needed it. Vises over 4" just don't seem to fit on my size mill/drill.
I will keep checking CL to see if anything comes up close to me. Won't hold my breath on that. I live out in the country and nothing is close to me. It just doesn't pay to make a 70 mile round trip to Visalia or a 100 mile round trip to Fresno to look at something.
Thanks again for all of the advise and suggestions.

I’ed go for the Precision Mathews , I know nothing about them but they sound good to me, price is not bad ether.
PM seems to have good customer service if anything is not rite.
Don’t think ied like the self centering one

The self centering kind of sounded like a gimmick to me. Interesting but only saw them on the grizz website. I found out about Precision Mathews from comments on this site about what a good company they were to deal with. So I found there website and looked at their vises. I got a shipping quote of $40 to my door. $160 total cost. I doubt that I will find anything better in that price range.

I will though this out. I got my self one for my 47th anniversary last month, of coarse this was after I got SWMBO a nice peral and diamond ring. lLambrich 1/2” keyless 33J mounted on tts stub. LOL man is it nice a 10th Total Runout.
CH

My birthday presents have arrived. First I got 0-1, 1-2 and 2-3 micrometers from forum member UglydogLLC. Thanks again Daryl. Then I went shopping for a 4" machinists vise with a swivel base. Shars had them on sale at about 40% off retail. Shar's shipping was significantly higher however it was still the best price I could find.

IMG_3571.JPG

The reason I wanted the swivel base was not to use with the vise but to use with this chuck base that came with my lathe.

IMG_3572.JPG

I bored a hole for the pin on the swivel base and drilled two holes for the hold down bolts and nuts.

IMG_3573.JPG

and mounted it on the swivel base.

IMG_3574.JPG

All of my chucks and backing plates can now be mounted on the swivel base This gives me a crude rotary table that will be suitable for a couple of projects on my to do list. I will add a vernier scale which will give me accuracy to 1/10 of a degree.

IMG_3575.JPG

This gives me a crude rotary table that will be suitable for a couple of projects on my to do list. I will add a vernier scale which will give me accuracy to 1/10 of a degree.

Very clever

Back