It's my birthday and can't decide what to get

Hi all,
It's my birthday this month and I have been going back and forth on what I should buy for my birthday. I just can't seem to make a decision. Kind of narrowed down to some micrometers, a 0 to 1" and a 1" to 2", or an 8" rotary table. Do I buy cheap chinese off fleabay or look for older American made. I have recently seen some nice Starrett and Brown & Sharpe micrometers at some very reasonable prices on CL The rotary tables I have seen on CL look to be well used. For information my mill/drill's table is 8.5" x 28.5" to the outside edges of the table. Or should I look for a decent milling vise. Swivel base, fixed base, should it also tilt. On the rotary table I would definitely want both vertical and horizontal. What about a tilt function on the rotary table. So many choices I can't make a decision. Help me out.
E V E R Y T H I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about everything. I have some friends where the wife controls the purse strings. She tells her husband that he can buy anything that he wants to but he can't buy everything. No wife here to keep me inline. Just 3 persona's. Me, myself and I that constantly argue back and forth about everything.

Reactions: Z2V
What about the rotary table with dividing plates. I have a mill/drill and a swivel tilting vice,but the vice takes a lot of z-axis up. I am going to sell this one and get a smaller tilting vice and are fixing another machine vice. My point is,if you want a tilting vice,look for a smaller tipe not a big one like I have.20180305_083451.jpg
Too big

Suzuki4evr
Thanks for the advice about a small tilting vise verses a larger one. One of my up coming projects is to modify the steering wheel hub from my 66 midget to adapt it to an aftermarket steering wheel. A swivel vice might work for this project but not for others that are on the back burner right now. Still a good machinist vise would be good to have. What I have right now is HF junk. Really just a drill press vise and of questionable quality.

if the op is including a 1" mic in his list then i assume he doesn't have one -sooo a mic vs a rotary table??

Personally, and at least for this one birthday, I would spring for a good vise for your milling machine. It is the foundation for most of your work on the mill. A rotary table is fine and a tilting angle table is good, too, but they are not used anywhere near as often as a milling vise. A cheap angle block set will get your angled work done unless it is too big for the vise and a cheap square and hex block (5C or ER collet) set will handle simple indexing jobs; both of these things require ... a vise.

Buy a really good vise and it will serve you well, and you can keep it for use on a new mill if you change up.

I Don’t use my micrometers much “dial calipers mostly “for what I do. I have a tilting swivel heavy machine vice and a vertex 8” h,v rotary table both are rarely used.
By far the Kurt 6” mill vice is used the most , I have a swivel base somewhere for it is rarely never used.
Ied go for a good machine vice if yours is HF junk.

Personally, and at least for this one birthday, I would spring for a good vise for your milling machine. It is the foundation for most of your work on the mill. A rotary table is fine and a tilting angle table is good, too, but they are not used anywhere near as often as a milling vise. A cheap angle block set will get your angled work done unless it is too big for the vise and a cheap square and hex block (5C or ER collet) set will handle simple indexing jobs; both of these things require ... a vise.

Buy a really good vise and it will serve you well, and you can keep it for use on a new mill if you change up.

yeah but when he is done he can't measure what he did haha

yeah but when he is done he can't measure what he did haha

True 'dat! But he can't do much to measure without a good vise - I would go for the chicken and get the egg later.

Back