It's the darn taste! (way oil)!

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I dunno how it happened. Maybe the back of my hand brushed across my face while I was having a bit of a struggle with getting the respirator thing off - or something, but somehow, the tiniest smidgen of a trace of Mobil Vactra #2 made it to the taste buds. Yikes, but that stuff is tenacious! Spit, wash out - not even a small swig of Jim Beam would strip it away!

I once had a mishap under a car, involving a differential, and spilled Castrol Hypoid EP-90. You know what it's like. The thing is awkward, and suddenly overflows out the the top-up hole, and one is .. well.. underneath!

Granted, that EP-90 stuff was a great deal more evil-smelling than Vactra, but the yuk taste lasted for several days!

Gotta be more careful! :disgust:

If you don't know what all the fluids in your shop tastes like how else will you identify them when the labels fall off the bottles? When I worked as a mechanic I knew what all the fluids taste like from cars so I could easily identify what was leaking. :D

If you don't know what all the fluids in your shop tastes like how else will you identify them when the labels fall off the bottles? When I worked as a mechanic I knew what all the fluids taste like from cars so I could easily identify what was leaking. :D

Dang, that's hardcore! I just settled for identifying fluids based on the way they felt between my fingers. Fuel, brake, ATF, oil all feels different. Reminds me of that Cheech and Chong sketch: Schaffolnik, come here! That look like dog $hit to you? Look like dog $hit to me too. Now pick up! Taste!

I remember replacing a radiator that had the green stuff back in the day.
Got a string of drops right in the mouth. Hmm, sweet. No wonder dogs drink this stuff.
It's poison too.
Gear oil? I'll pass.

I remember replacing a radiator that had the green stuff back in the day.
Got a string of drops right in the mouth. Hmm, sweet. No wonder dogs drink this stuff.
It's poison too.
Gear oil? I'll pass.
I lost a pedegreed beagle to ethylene glycol antifreeze. It attacks the liver. A teaspoon is enough to do the job.

Curiously, propylene glycol is used in food products. Notably as a substitute for for ethyl alcohol in flavor extracts.

Dang, that's hardcore! I just settled for identifying fluids based on the way they felt between my fingers. Fuel, brake, ATF, oil all feels different. Reminds me of that Cheech and Chong sketch: Schaffolnik, come here! That look like dog $hit to you? Look like dog $hit to me too. Now pick up! Taste!

Haha. I kid I kid. I have no idea what all the fluids in my shop tastes like except Tapmagic. When I worked on cars although I did know what anifreeze, motor oil, & atf (when burnt) tasted like that's not how I actually told the difference. But my mentor actually did sometimes. Brake fluid I could tell by feel. And gear oil, well anyone who works on cars is very familiar with the smell.

You could taste that old time Aluminum tapping crap spewing from your skin .

I lost a pedegreed beagle to ethylene glycol antifreeze. It attacks the liver. A teaspoon is enough to do the job.
Sorry for the loss of your pet. Ethylene glycol attacks the Kidneys, there is an antidote however, ethyl alcohol. It binds up the chemical that crystallizes and plugs up the kidneys.

Back