It’s the little things I miss the most

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
My wife and I lost our home in the fires of California last November.
Since then we have purchased a new home and have furnished it and my garage shop with amazing speed.
As a home owner we are tasked with fix it projects all the time.
Glenda asked if I could make this shade work on that lamp.
No problem, just need to switch bulb hardware.
I don’t have any butt connectors, I don’t have........
This is what I miss the most.
I am one of those who leans down to pick up a snap ring or an Allan headed shouldered screw. I have been doing it for decades.
Every project I did for 33 years in our old home had leftovers.
I miss having all the little pieces of obscure hardware to fix it.
Sure, you can buy new tools and hardware assortments but it takes years to make it complete.
Next time you go out to your shop or garage, look around and imagine it all gone.

I am sorry for your loss

Yesterday was our six month anniversary since the fire.
We are so fortunate compared to most of our neighbors.
I’m not sniveling, I feel we have been blessed.

That would be frustrating. Half the time, I just can't find it till after I buy more. :)

I'm glad you are getting settled. That was a horrible situation for all involved.

I can't begin to imagine the trials involved with losing everything to a fire. I'm happy your wife and you are rebounding so well.

Having all that random stuff is nice, but try to find it when you need it! My experience is that I can find it weeks later when I'm looking for a completely different item.

I can't even imagine. Just a thought....look on estatesales.net for local estate sales. When they post pictures of the stuff in the garage/shop I see those little organizer cabinets full of stuff all the time plus misc hardware is always available for pennies.

Getting reestablished is a pain, and takes time, even the personal items with sentimental value, you block it out, but it comes back. I've lived through 5 hurricanes here, but only lost everything once. Sounds very familiar, glad your getting set up again.

I can not imagin loosing my basement full of "stuff". Many things down there are not replaceable in this lifetime.

Oh man. That is really rough. But, here's a chance to start anew. Check out the 5-S (Japanese) system. A lot of us who have been in our shops for a long time could never go through the purge required to get on board with the system.

Back